AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

With the new Ad Words Enhanced how can I target only smartphones?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having a hard time targeting only smartphone devices with my advertising.  I have read through the new procedure/policy that Ad Words has but it is not clear and I am still seeing mainly laptop impressions in my reports.  I have set my default CPC low and triggered my device bidding to be 100% over what my default CPC bid is but still no impressions on smartphones.

I have even tested with multiple different CPC bid amounts both up and down.  Super frustrated with this new set up with Google and would like to figure out this new feature since it is non-optional soon.

Thanks,

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: With the new Ad Words Enhanced how can I target only smartphones?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You are able to set your phone bid to a maximum of 300% of the starting bid. You're best to play with this maximum to minimize the impressions on desktops and tablets...

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You are able to set your phone bid to a maximum of 300% of the starting bid. You're best to play with this maximum to minimize the impressions on desktops and tablets...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have done this and tested it but it is still showing 99% of impressions through Computers not smartphones.  Is there any other suggestions or solutions.

Thanks,

Chris

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I can commiserate; we have the same problem.  I'm able to exclude mobile clicks from desktop campaign using the -100% setting for mobile devices, but I am not able to do the reverse and exclude all desktop clicks.

An ability to set -100% on desktop and tablets would be very welcome.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Have you tried dropping the original bid first...

Let's suppose that your average CPC is $1. At 25c you're not likely to get many impressions and clicks - as much as anything becuaser your ad will either not trigger at all or becuase it is on the second or thrid page of results (of course, this does depend upon the amount of competition there is for the keywords, but you get the idea).

Now if you increase the mobile bid by 300% it becomes $1 again.

In this way your ads should continue to show well for mobiles but not on desktop/tablets.

There seems to be a growing consensus that the ability to separate all three device types into their own camapigns is what people want - perhaps Google will rethink....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually what you are writing is exactly what I am doing and I am still seeing 60% desktop versus 40%mobile which is not what I want.  I have taken the mobile smartphone bid and increased it by 300% to put the mobile bid where I want it with the desktop still super low.

However, the issue is that Adwords is still sending majority impressions for Desktop not mobile and if I can control it i would want 100% mobile not desktop as desktop doesn't fulfill my campaign needs or requirments.

Here are examples from yesterday's traffic using what you are saying as Google's Support desk is saying the same thing but it is clearly not working as discussed.

Adwords Mobile Issue.jpg

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi 5toolservices, what are you doing in respect of mobile Ad preference?  This can have a big impact.  Do you have a mobile specific landing page?

Your CTR is very poor for both these devices - is it always this low?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For Ad Preference I am using search only first of all with my ads using a mobile preference on each one created (6 total).  I have checked the mobile box for each ad and don't have any set up for non-mobile.

As for the landing page I have a mobile specific landing page (seen here: http://simplelifeanswers.net/Rehab/SL_Rahab_mobile.html) that was created with mobile devices in mind.  

Everything should be geared toward mobile.  As for CTR, I know this is low and that is a reason.  For my same campaign on Bing and a seperate camapign with Adwords I am seeing CTR closer to 3% (2.78%) in total which is still slightly lower than where I want to be but my ads are only showing to mobile devices.  I think the main reason for the low CTR is that I have been trying to get traffic over to mobile devices instead of laptops and it appears that I am stuck.

Any advice would be helpful.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi 5toolservices, that's what I feared.  You must have at least one "non-mobile" preference Ad for the preference on the others to take effect.  If you mark all your Ads as "mobile preference" then they all display to Desktop/Tablets as well.

This little snippet of information is pretty well hidden, but it's there on this page:

Text Ads

"It's important to note that if your ad group contains only mobile-optimized text ads (which we don’t recommend), those ads may appear on desktop or laptop computers as well as tablets."

Try creating a "Desktop specific" Ad and leave that mobile unchecked and then review your figures again after a couple of days.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok so to confirm, if I add in a non-mobile ad will all the impressions for desktop dissapear?  Basically, I don't want any desktop impressions at all for my campaign.  I want a totally 100% mobile smartphone forcused advertising.  Therefore, if any ads for desktop are made will it now only send mobile impressions in total to my ads?  And if i create this ad for desktop and desktop impressions are clicked on will I still be charged?  I don't want to pay for any clicks from desktops at all for my campaigns.