AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

With no competition, my ads don't appear with slight variations on broadly matched keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

Lately I've been having quite a few issues with my keywords. Basically, I'm finding that my ads often aren't shown, even though they rightfully should be, due to the keywords I have.

For instance, I have ''tire retreads'' as a keyword, with broad match. Supposedly, my ads should appear for slight variations, including changing the order of the words, small spelling mistakes, and even synonyms. However, this is rarely the case - I notice that my ads don't even appear for keywords like ''retreads for tires'' or pretty much any variation. It is not that the competition is pushing my ads out either - in retread searches, I don't even have any competition.

I've contacted Google Support on the phone, and they have never been able to explain this. They have always recommended waiting for a while, saying that the keywords would inevitable "settle". This has never happened. I don't know if it's Google Argentina or Google worldwide, but I find their support very unhelpful.

Could you help me understand why Google is wishy-washy with keywords? Is it just me or is it quite common?

Jordan

3 Expert replyverified_user

Duplicate keywords have very different performance

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello everyone,

I've just taken over an AdWords account where the campaigns had many duplicate keywords (in the same campaign), for instance: ''grupo electrogeno'', ''grupos electrogenos'', ''grupo electrógenos'', ''grupo de electrogeno'' and other slight variations. As far as I understand, these keywords will actually compete against each other, so I should remove all the duplicates to avoid this.

When I'm removing the duplicates, however, I notice that they have very different performance. Some of the duplicates receive far more traffic than the others, while some of the duplicates have a far higher CTR, others have a very difference QS. Given these keywords are really duplicates, I would have expected the performance of these keywords to be relatively similar. Why should it be so different?

Cheers,

Jordan

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Jordan,

Great question!

Yes, you will want to remove duplicate keywords. I recommend keeping the versions with the best performance and pausing/deleting the others.

Duplicate keywords can have very different performance because there are many variables specific to each keyword. For example, if the duplicates are in different ad groups, they are triggering different ads, which impacts their performance.

Even if the duplicates are in the same ad group, if there are multiple ads in the ad group, it's possible that one version of the keyword is triggering one of the ads more often than the others, and that's impacting performance.

And even if the duplicates are in the same ad group and there's only one ad in the ad group, performance could still vary because Google might be choosing to trigger one of the keyword versions more often than the other.

I hope that's helpful!

John

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

We had the same discussions 2 days ago;

Check this;

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Broad-Modified-Match-Pickle/m-p/1...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

With no competition, my ads don't appear with slight variations on broadly matched keywords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi there;

I suspect that either your QS is too low or your bid is low,

There is a threshold of ad-rank (for any given keyword) for the keyword to trigger the ad, even if there are no competitors.

My assumption: you don't meet this threshold.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Jordan,

Two other reasons why your ad isn't showing:

1) Insufficient budget

2) You are making an actual search. If you repeatedly make the same search and not click on ads, sometimes Google stops showing ads. You should use the Ad Preview tool to see your ad.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Moshe! I've checked my campaign - my keywords have an overall QS of 7, and the bid is OK as well. What do you reckon could be wrong?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Rob,

My budget is fine, and I have been using the Ad Previewer so far... any further suggestions?

Re: With no competition, my ads don't appear with slight variations on broadly matched keywords

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Jordan I
Jordan I wrote:

Thanks Moshe! I've checked my campaign - my keywords have an overall QS of 7, and the bid is OK as well. What do you reckon could be wrong?

Increase the bid

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Google has minimum bids. So even if there are no competing ads, there is a minimum bid required for your ads to show. Raise the bids a lot for a short while and see if your ads start showing.

And also, on rare occasions, Google just chooses not to show ads on the first page. I've seen this for newsworthy searches, but I doubt it would apply to you.