AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Will pausing the only ad campaign in the account decrease the quality score?

bom
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
bom
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I set up our Adwords account a couple of months ago and entered one campaign with four keywords.  The account had not been running any ads for the last couple of months while we waited for our Adwords Non-Profit account to be approved.  Google emailed us today and I see the campaign started running yesterday. 

Google's email said to monitor our quality score on a daily basis for the first 2-4 weeks because "the first few weeks are when your account will earn its initial quality score."  Our quality score for two keywords is 4 and for two other keywords, it's 6.  For the keywords with a QS of 4, the $1 bid maximum restriction (non-profit account) is not enough for it to display on the first page, so I assume that's what's causing the low QS score.  The other two first-page bid amounts fluctuate around $1, so I think some days/times, it's higher and sometimes it's lower. All of the keywords are tightly consistant with their ads and the landing pages.

Since the account was just approved and started running, I need a bit of time to do some keyword research and enter some keywords that have bids we can get onto the first page for.  In the meantime, I don't want these low QScores to ruin my "initial quality score" over the next 4 weeks, so I paused the campaign.  Since we didn't know when Google would approve our non-profits account, we also didn't have any project time planned for this in January, so we would really like to leave it paused until February.

However, I'm wondering, if I leave the only campaign in the account paused until February, will that ruin my "initial quality score" or will my "initial quality score" clock not start ticking until February?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Will pausing the only ad campaign in the account decrease the quality score?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bom,

There seems to be some minor confusion in your reasoning which is no wonder if you're new to AdWords. To be brief I'd only have 3 short comments.

1. There is no issue associated with your plan to pause a campaign till February. No problem at all.

2. Your Qality Score never considers you daily budget or bids. It is a quality based metric which considers relevance between keywords, ad copies, and websites as well as some other factors.

3. The non-profit guys have their own forum where you can get tailored replies to your queries. Your non-profit status may modify your status in ways that we in this forum don't know about.

*** Google Grants Help Forum

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/grants

I suggest you post your upcoming questions in the above community.

Best,

Lakatos

Re: Will pausing the only ad campaign in the account decrease the quality score?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Just a quick counter-point about Google Grant accounts - as a manager of a few grant accounts for different non profits I generally find this forum more helpful (though I keep an eye on the official grant forum as well).  

While you don't have access to the full spectrum of products with a grant account many of the advanced Adwords concepts discussed here are quite relevant. Beyond the inital application process there really isn't much about a Grant account that's any different than a regular one.

For the most part, don't worry too heavily about your inital quailty score. Focus on all the things that build a successful campaign (ad copy, landing pages, negative keywords, efficiently structured ad groups, etc) and give yourself time to learn about what works for your organization over the next few weeks and months. It's not unusual for keywords to have their quality scores grow over time so be patient and once you get a better sense of what positive and negative growth looks like, pause and add as necessary.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, PatientRock. Much appreciated. I also fully agree with the valuable pieces of advice you posted.

(Unfortunately, I have never seen a Grant account, just like most of the guys in this community.)

Lakatos