AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Will keywords within a campaign conflict each other ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello , I want to know if keywords within a campaign will conflict with each other. Example currently I have a keyword in one adgroup like +car +hire , And on another ad group as +car +hire +london . Want to know if these 2 keywords will conflict with each other and resulting in higher CPC of the keyword.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Will keywords within a campaign conflict each other ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Billy T,

Welcome to the forum

When Your ads are eligible to appear based on the similarity of your keywords to the search terms a person enters when they're searching on Google only one keyword can trigger an ad per search term.Sometimes the keywords with highest CTR win the auction or sometimes the keywords with most restricted match wins..

Here is the link with detail information
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Billy,

The answer is YES.

If a user's search query (satisfying your target methods) is car hire London, both your keywords in question would compete if their ad ranks allow them to enter the auction. Why?

As you have these keywords in different ad groups, they would compete. If they had been in the same ad group, Google would pick only one - the most relevant one

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Billy,

Yes, in the example you've given, the two keywords will compete against each other. But it's not that simple. Based on algorithms, Google should choose the keyword that is the most relevant to the search query being typed in. If someone types in "hire car in london", your +car +hire +london keyword should be the keyword which triggers your ad, but depending on past performance, quality score, and bid, it may be triggered by +car +hire. 

To alleviate this problem, you can add negative keywords to limit which queries your keywords show for. For example, I'd suggest adding "London" as a negative broad or phrase match keyword in your ad group with +car +hire as a keyword. This ensures that any search query that contains "car", "hire", and "london" should only show in the ad group with +car +hire +london in it rather than +car +hire. 

As you continue to build out your ad groups, following this type of negative keyword siloing can be very useful to make sure search queries are mapping to their most relevant ad group/keyword. 

Hope that helps!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
It's really difficult to describe exactly. also it's depend on search behavior !!