AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Will keywords below first page bid hurt ctr?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I'd like to know if having keywords below first page bid in a new adgroup will actually hurt my CTR. I am wondering if the first page bid will adjust, like the quality score, after the first 1000 impressions, so I should give the keywords at least a chance to improve themselves before pausing.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Will keywords below first page bid hurt ctr?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Without being on the first page it will be extremely difficult to get any sort of CTR. Your QS will usually suffer as a consequence. We usually bid up to give the keywords a chance at the beginning. Don't forget though that there are ad group and campaign quality scores that affect your keyword QS as well. With limited budgets obviously this is more difficult, but low positions to start make testing complicated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
BTW we're a nonprofit so my bid limit is the highest it can go -- $2.00. If I'm looking at a kw with a first page bid estimate of $2.25, would it be worth seeing if it change for the better?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author WebMamma5000
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That does complicate things slightly. I usually recommend testing different match types and some longer tail options to see if you can get specific enough to get a lower CPC. Also, there are strategies for improving quality score outside of CTR. Landing pages with the keywords on it help as does having a couple instances of the keyword in the ad copy. If your QS is under 7, you are not relevant enough and should be testing ways to improve that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, I'll try that!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author WebMamma5000
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Yes, the first page bid will adjust, like the quality score, after the first 1000 impressions. You are right to give the keywords at least a chance to improve themselves before pausing.

Keep in mind, however, that the first page bid estimates are based on paid advertiser data and not grantee data. Additionally, grant ads serve beneath paid ads, so this will also have an impact.

Since yours is a Grant account, my suggestion is to run the keywords and measure the data that your account generates and focus your optimizations on that data instead of the estimates provided by Google AdWords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wonderful! Just as I suspected, thanks!