AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Will google penalize for over optimization?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I'm about to run a campaign which have only 12 keywords. Variations & synonyms of same keyword will mislead users, So I have to use exact match type (even some phrase match of same keyword might bring unwanted traffic). Keyword research suggested that these keywords have quite high search volumes. I'm thinking of running a supper specific campaign like this;

• 12 Ad Groups
  • Only one keyword per one Adgroup
  • Keywords are exact match
  • Each keyword (& Adgroup) have specific Ad copy (Title, description, display URL contain keyword)
  • Each keyword (& Adgroup have a specific landing page (H2, H3, bold text, etc have the keyword)
  • Landing pages have specific images with keywords in alt, title, etc. contain keywords

Most of these keywords are 3 word keywords, so they can be included in the Ad copy titles. Landing pages are not too much keyword heavy, with reasonable keyword density. All 12 keywords are not quite similar and can not be included in the same or Ad group or 2/3 keywords per ad group basis. I'm hopeful that these keywords will generate high CTR & conversions.

Does Google have a penalty for over optimization in Adwords? Like in they have for organic SEO.

I'm quite concern because each keyword have a landing page , 

Please kindly give your opinions on this.

4 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandaruwan S
September 2015

Re: Will google penalize for over optimization?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi

no as far as I know you will not be peanlized for over optimizing a PPC campaign, in fact in most cases it good when you be very specific related to PPC campaigns

However I have few concerns about your campaign setup. Using one keyword per ad group may not be the best option. Most probably you will lose potential related traffic as well. But if you are 100% confident enough about the structure policy wise it should be fine

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
There are advantages and disadvantages to using SKAGs (single keyword ad groups) but they can be generally boiled down to a swings and roundabouts situation ... with SKAG's you are going to get a better and cheaper traffic - but at the same time you will get less traffic.

The smart thing to do it to run a wider campaign with part of your budget and then cherry pick the SKAGs and nurture them for the better returns.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi

no as far as I know you will not be peanlized for over optimizing a PPC campaign, in fact in most cases it good when you be very specific related to PPC campaigns

However I have few concerns about your campaign setup. Using one keyword per ad group may not be the best option. Most probably you will lose potential related traffic as well. But if you are 100% confident enough about the structure policy wise it should be fine

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Sandaruwan S I'm not sure why you would think you'd be penalised for this structure, it sounds very good to me.

Google never directly "penalises" advertisers for anything they do.  The only negative effects imposed by Google are those related to Quality Score (where low Quality Scores require you pay more to compete with others with a higher QS) but your structure is likely to result in good QS.

My only concern in your proposed structure would be that 3 word Exact matches may not generate much traffic - indeed may be marked as "Low Search Volume", depending upon what they actual term is.  I'd probably look to include a separate "discovery" Campaign using slightly broader matches to look out for other terms and potentially high performing broader matches.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello @Sandaruwan S;

Nothing wrong with your structure, if you think this would suit better to target users interested in your product. If performances will not be as expected, you can oprtinize again, and continue iterating (with optimization)  until you find the best list of keywords and match types, which you will find  well-performed and  optimized within  your campaign's goals. (Which ever metrics you  set as goals. e.g. CPA, budget, CTR...)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks @Nisal L for reply.

Like know what you actually mean by "Most probably you will lose potential related traffic as well" when using one keyword per ad group? I read few articles about advantages & disadvantages of using "single keyword adgroups". Please kindly explain how can this affect?
I'm going to use exact match keywords.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Well what i tried to mean there was if you using one exact match keyword type there is high possibility that you will lose related traffic for your website which may not "Exactly" match the keyword you have provided but goes along the line.

But this is very situation argument. For a instance if you are sure you have covered all the possible combinations with different adgroups by using different combinations of your keyword I dont think you should be worried.

If i am talking from personal experience I usually don't run one keyword adgroups just to make sure i capture all the related traffic for my ad text, but as said this can be very situation.

P.S Glad to see another Sri Lankan in the forum Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks @Nisal L Smiley Happy
Very helpful
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
There are advantages and disadvantages to using SKAGs (single keyword ad groups) but they can be generally boiled down to a swings and roundabouts situation ... with SKAG's you are going to get a better and cheaper traffic - but at the same time you will get less traffic.

The smart thing to do it to run a wider campaign with part of your budget and then cherry pick the SKAGs and nurture them for the better returns.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks @stickleback
Good suggestion

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks @stickleback @Nisal L @MosheTLV @Jon_Gritton for replies with useful details