AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Will bidding on my own brand cannibalize SEO efforts?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

Is there a way to find out if I am cannibalizing SEO efforts by bidding on my own brand? In other words, by bidding on my own brand/company name as a keyword, am I paying for traffic for folks who would have clicked through to my website and converted anyway via organic search?

To put it another way, if the user hadn't seen my ad, would they still have clicked through to my website (even if it appeared in a lower position on the SERP) and converted?

Is there a way to determine this? Or does anyone have any suggestions about how to determine this?

Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew S
June

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The  benefit is that in the  promoted ad you can include information the organic bot does not show, like seasonal promotions, various extensions, reviews and special offers.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew,

The appearance of your ad on a SERP than includes your organic will usually improve the overall performance. Some folks will click on the ad, some on the organic listing.

One way to look at it is if your competitors are using your brand as a keyword and their ad shows on the SERP for your brand, wouldn't you also want your ad to show?

The 2 listings tend to reinforce each other.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew S
June

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The  benefit is that in the  promoted ad you can include information the organic bot does not show, like seasonal promotions, various extensions, reviews and special offers.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

I have seen studies on this, and rather than cannibalising you actually increase overall visitors - more than the sum of doing either separately. 

Costs for your own brand tend to be very low.

Having your ad there can put off your competitors. Without it there you need to constantly check to see if someone else is bidding on your brand, which you definitely don't want.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi RobSkelton, 

Just building on your answer here, maybe there is another thread covering this topic. But I was wondering if there is a way to set up a Google Alert or Smart Goal to know when someone is bidding on your own branded terms so you could keep an eye on your competitors. 

Thanks everyone for all your answers, very helpful Smiley Wink

Cheers

Javier

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

If you have your brand bidding in its own campaign, which I recommend, then you can look at Details > Auction Insights > All, in either the Ad Groups or Keywords tabs.

It will show you data on your competitors.