AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Will adding negatives affect reported QS?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone,

i've read many statements like "the quality score you see in your account is based upon when the search query was the same as your keyword regardless of the match type."
(Brad Geddes, http://certifiedknowledge.org/blog/dont-fall-for-this-bad-advice-the-worst-quality-score-advice-weve... and

"Google cares about exact match keywords, which impact Quality Scores [the match type of the keyword actually doesn't matter, it's just that they only change the 1-10 QS number you see based on when the query is an exact match to your keyword.]"
(Frederick Vallaeys , http://www.receptional.com/blog/105-tips-and-insights-from-heroconf-2015)

Now let's say i have a SKAG with MBM keyword '+a +b'
will adding negative keywords like '[free a b]' have an influence on the reported QS?

thanks again for your thoughts

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Will adding negatives affect reported QS?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Nils, how are things?

"the quality score you see in your account is based upon when the search query was the same as your keyword regardless of the match type."

This is not true! This statement gives the impressions that when the keywords doesn't match, your QS is not calculated.

Your Quality Score gets recalculated every time your keyword enters an auction, even if you ad does not appear for the user. 

Since Google doesn't have a Quality Score historic report, the QS you see on your account is just an Average of many auctions, since it can vary many times during the day.

Regarding the keywords being the same (user query and yours): Your keyword CTR% will be used on Quality Score calculation when user query is exact the same as your keyword. When the keywords does not match, your keyword CTR% will not be used. This is one information that can cause confusion, since it were removed from the Official Adwords Help Center.

You can check more about Quality Score in this fine article here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

To fine tune the answer by @leandrofm;

This is a bit of a  nuance... try to follow:

Google has found that a better indicator of the effectiveness of the keyword is to consider the CTR  for the purpose of QS calculation, only   when the keyword exactly matches the search query. This is not the same as "exact match". For example, you could have a broad match keyword: the CTR for QS calculation, will be considered  only when the search query is identical  to the keyword.  When a  keyword synonym matches to the query, then this CTR   is not used for calculation QS,

This "CTR for QS calculation " is not shown in the UI. 

There is an old article by Google which illustrates this point  well.

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
this has been well answered i just wanted to labour one point:
only calculates a QS when it is set to exact match? ... so how do all of my broad and +broad ad groups that have the exact set as a negative (due to it having been split out as its own single keyword exact match ad group) get a QS?
I'd go with the answers below not what you had read previously.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@David C;

Nope:

>>"only calculates a QS when it is set to exact match?"

The CTR for QS is calculated only when the keyword exactly matches the search query.  This is not the same as exact match

Read the article I linked - it's well explained there.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi @MosheTLV - I was actually intending to be asking a rhetorical question to point out the absurdity of the original claim (only QS when exact match), thank you for taking the time to respond though - I read the link you posted - it was great.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thanks @leandrofm, @MosheTLV, great answers and insights!

Just to be clear: my question was about the _reported_ QS that we can see in the interface (and base our decisions for improvements on).

Two veterans in the Adwords community seem to agree that this _reported_ QS is only changed based upon search terms that exactly match your keywords.

Do you agree? If so, the answers to my question would be yes i guess?
"let's say i have a SKAG with MBM keyword '+a +b'
will adding negative keywords like '[free a b]' have an influence on the reported QS?"

thanks again!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Nils R;

>>"will adding negative keywords like '[free a b]' have an influence on the reported QS?"

This was already covered in @leandrofm initial reply and in the article, by Google, about the ingredient of the QS.

You might also be interested in this white paper by Google about QS; (If you carefully read it, you'll find a few "hints")

https://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/settling-the-quality-score-whitepaper-final.pdf