AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Will Too Many ads in a adgroup affect my CTR?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have around 10+ ads on my adgroup will this affect my CTR.

thanks in advance for your replies.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Billy T
September 2015

Re: Will Too Many ads in a adgroup affect my CTR?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Billy, the question I'd ask is why you'd think the number of Ads in your Group would affect CTR?

All that affects overall CTR is, well, CTR.  If you have 2 Ads one with a CTR of 20% and one with a CTR of 10%, your average CTR for that Group is 15%.  If you have 10 Ads, five with a CTR of 20% and 5 with a CTR of 10%, your average is still 15%.

What's important is the individual CTRs themselves, not the number of Ads you have.  For example, if you did have 5 of your 10 Ads with a CTR of 20% and another 5 in the same Group giving only 10%, you should be considering pausing, deleting or changing these 5 to try and get a better figure.  It's not the number that's the issue, it's that you're showing Ads that don't perform as well as others.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, Welcome to the Community,

Opinions can be different on this matter. About what CTR are you concerned ? The CTR of those Ads, the CTR of the keywords in that ad group, the account's historical CTR ?

Here is a discussion with a lot of details about Ads and CTR :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/what-is-the-recommended-number-of-ads-to-create-i...

Is your Ad Group in a Search campaign or a Display Network campaign ?

Depending on your Ad rotation setting you can decide which one of those 10 Ads is worth keeping because of the higher CTR rate if your Ads received more than a few hundred impressions.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Adrian, Thanks for the reply.

Actually I am concerned about the account's historical CTR .

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

There is no formula to describe how much impact an Ad with low CTR can have on the overall account so basically this is a question impossible to answer to. What we know is that the older data in the Accounts matter less than the new Data so if you improve CTR in the next month, the new CTR will have more weight than the older CTR from 4 months ago for example.

There used to be a report in the "Opportunities tab" called "Analyze competition" where you could see how your CTR is compared to several competitors, but that is gone. Now you have to look at other performance metrics like the Search Lost IS (rank) which indicates low CTR of Ads.

There are plenty of discussions here in the forum about how to improve CTR of Ads and keywords if you want referrences.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Billy T
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Billy, the question I'd ask is why you'd think the number of Ads in your Group would affect CTR?

All that affects overall CTR is, well, CTR.  If you have 2 Ads one with a CTR of 20% and one with a CTR of 10%, your average CTR for that Group is 15%.  If you have 10 Ads, five with a CTR of 20% and 5 with a CTR of 10%, your average is still 15%.

What's important is the individual CTRs themselves, not the number of Ads you have.  For example, if you did have 5 of your 10 Ads with a CTR of 20% and another 5 in the same Group giving only 10%, you should be considering pausing, deleting or changing these 5 to try and get a better figure.  It's not the number that's the issue, it's that you're showing Ads that don't perform as well as others.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits