AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Will Same Keywords In Different Campaigns Drive CPC Up ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Please someone can help me on my below doubt for which I am unable to find answers on net.

I have two campaigns for two different products but the keywords used are exactly the same. Now, I know that only the ad with highest adrank for any particular auction will be displayed at a time.

But  my doubt is with keywords from campaigns competing with each other, will my CPC (cost) go up that it would if I run only one campaign at a time ?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Will Same Keywords In Different Campaigns Drive CPC Up ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

If you run your campaigns at the same time, Google will determine which ad to present to the user.

If there are no separate varying keywords, you are not going to have any control over which ad shows when a search query matches your keywords.

No, separating by time will not have any impact on on your costs as only one ad of yours will be eligible to be shown at a time.

I would strongly suggest that do your best to separate your keywords. If the pricing and products are different, the search queries that will trigger your ads could be different as well.

Without having truly separate campaigns for each product (no shared keywords) you might as well run one campaign with separate ads for each product, assuming there are no other differences between targeting etc.

The idea behind using separate campaigns is to have different campaigns for each product. There should really be some distinction between the two.

-Tom
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for that...I just didn't want to you head down a potentially dangerous path.

No, the 'competition' within your account is not going to have any affect on CPC.  Google runs through their process of determining the best option from your account for the current auction and whatever your CPC is for that keyword is the one that is used.  There are no adjustments or inflation within your account at all.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor

Hi QS-Game,

I was only referring to the OP in regards to your suggestion.  You spoke with a representative first, as have I in similar situations, which is the right thing to do. 

I prefer to not suggest solutions that could result in suspended accounts when it's not completely necessary.  For the average advertiser, including dkbalajee, there are not multiple LLC's and/or websites to work with and thus they should only have one Adwords account. 

Your situation, while fully appropriate for you and/or your clients, is different than what is being discussed here by the OP in this thread. When you suggest such things to advertisers who are not in a similar situation to you, there could be severe consequences for them.  If this particular advertiser opened a second account, it would most definitely result in suspension for both of their accounts and a potential ban from further advertising with Google products. 

Cheers!

-Tom

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi dkbalajee,

I'm slightly confused. If you have different products, generally speaking, you may want to use different keywords. The more specific you can be with your keywords, the more relevant your ads can become.

Short answer is no, it will not drive up your CPC. There are a number of factors that will affect which ad will be triggered to show but none of them will drive up your costs. There is a mini competition to determine which ad from your "account" will enter the auction.

Please take a look here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66292

I would suggest that you alter your keyword lists so there is little or no overlap in keywords if possible. You'll gain better control of your ads this way.

Hope this helps!

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tom,

Actually both are differently priced and completely different products. But the target audience and keywords are exactly the same.

Will timeslicing ( x hours for campaign 1 and y hours for campaign 2) will be a better option than running both the campaigns together (in terms of cost) ?

Please can you help.

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

If you run your campaigns at the same time, Google will determine which ad to present to the user.

If there are no separate varying keywords, you are not going to have any control over which ad shows when a search query matches your keywords.

No, separating by time will not have any impact on on your costs as only one ad of yours will be eligible to be shown at a time.

I would strongly suggest that do your best to separate your keywords. If the pricing and products are different, the search queries that will trigger your ads could be different as well.

Without having truly separate campaigns for each product (no shared keywords) you might as well run one campaign with separate ads for each product, assuming there are no other differences between targeting etc.

The idea behind using separate campaigns is to have different campaigns for each product. There should really be some distinction between the two.

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

yes,  that is correct. your cost will go up.  if one bid is $1 and another is $5, most likely google will give the $5 higher adrank, so you cost went from $1 up to $5.  if you wanted to look at it that way?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think what yo are really trying to ask is can you have both ads shown at same time.  2 account, two url, 2 different user experience than yes, same kw in both account will work

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Again,

I just wanted to touch upon QS-Game's posts.

1.  Ad rank calculations are based partially on the bids but also on Quality Score.  I'm not positive that is what we're looking at here. There has been no mention of bids at all.

2.  99% of the time, one advertiser CANNOT have more than one account.  This is a policy violation that will get your accounts suspended and you will no longer be able to advertise with Google.  This is NOT something you should explore on your own without speaking with a Google representative first.

You can certainly have two campaigns in the same account that serve two different websites but you will NEVER have multiple ads show up on the same SERP.  Only one ad will be served per domain at a time and only one ad per account can be shown in the same manner.

My impression what that you had 1 website with similar products.  Please advise otherwise if this is not the case.

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

To clarify again, yes, I have one website, one account and different products. Just two campaigns one each for every product and wanted to know if CPC will be driven up due to keywords competing against each other.

Thanks.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for that...I just didn't want to you head down a potentially dangerous path.

No, the 'competition' within your account is not going to have any affect on CPC.  Google runs through their process of determining the best option from your account for the current auction and whatever your CPC is for that keyword is the one that is used.  There are no adjustments or inflation within your account at all.

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom, Thanks again. This clears my doubt.