AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Will Pausing Ads That Underperform Affect My Quality Score?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Issue: 

My main priority right now is raising the quality scores of all my search network accounts, and I'm hesitate to pause any ads that don't have as high of a CTR because I'm worried about it affecting the Ad Relevance portion of the quality score.

Background: 

I have ads set to optimize for clicks, and over time I've seen my overall quality score rise from below 4 to now almost 6. This was in part to writing many more ads in each ad group that feature the targeted keywords in the headlines of my ads. The Ad Relevence went from below average in red to average in green.

Someone recommended pausing ads that don't perform as well, but I'm afraid that if I do this, my quality score will go down because, let's say, there's a keyword in the headline of that ad that matches really well with my targeted keyword list (Ad Relevence QS). Secondly, is it even necessary at all to pause ads when we have it set to optimize for clicks and not rotate evenly? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Will Pausing Ads That Underperform Affect My Quality Score?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Chris D,

While using 'optimize for clicks' the system shows better performing ads more, compared to under performing ones. Pausing wouldn't make a significant difference in this case. You might also want to try keyword insertion, instead of writing those many ads to maintain keyword-ad text relevance. More about keyword insertion here.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My concern about keyword insertion is that I can't filter who clicks on my ads as well because the keywords that get inserted might not be relevant.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Keyword insertion replaces the headline only when a search term exactly matches the keyword and hence irrelevant headlines wouldn't be shown unless keywords are irrelevant.
Sumanth Sridhar