AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Will Google ever allow us to exclude tablet traffic?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I cannot believe Google does not allow you to exclude tablet traffic. This is killing one of our campaigns which has a high amount of tablet traffic. Desktop traffic has a cost per conversion of £42.00, mobile doesn't get many clicks anyway, but tablet is costing over £250 per conversion. How can they treat tablet and desktop traffic the same when users clearly use them in different ways? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Will Google ever allow us to exclude tablet traffic?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Phil,

I am over at Google quite frequently and when ever I have asked, i always told no. I feel your frustration. Our site currently behaves horribly on tablet, this is being looked into but in the mean time we cannot exclude traffic. It is infuriating.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Phil,

i don't think google will ever allow us to exclude tablet, as it is there main source of income when it start including them compulsory. Its not with you only , the user behavior varies when comes searching on tablet devices so CPA will always be high.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phil

Instead of thinking that will Google ever allow us to control the tablet traffic, try to make your website's landing pages tablet friendly which will help in enhancing the overall user experience thus increase in tablet conversion rate. You can use some 3rd party tools to get insight what users are doing on your landing pages while they browsing it through tablets.

Also, there may be chances that people are initially using tablets to search for the products or services and after that they are using desktops to complete the transactions which is resulting in higher tablet CPA and lower desktop CPA.

Abhishek

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In our case, it has nothing to do with our website not being tablet friendly. It has to do with the product we are selling, software, that is only running on windows, mac and linux. It is not running on IOS or Android tablets. So we do not want these visitors period.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Leila,

Don't overlook the fact that many tablet users are also PC or Mac owners and are simply using their tablets when away from their desks.  I've searched for Windows software many, many times using my tablet because I'm doing so while out of the office.  Just because someone is using a tablet to search doesn't mean they're not going to come back later from a desktop machine and convert.

If your Ads make it clear the software is for Windows/Mac/Linux and you're getting clicks from tablets, it's highly likely many of those clicks are valid potential customers researching your product and your site should be tablet friendly to accommodate them.  Conversions coming initially from a tablet may not be identified as such, even in the estimated conversions column, so just because you're seeing few conversions from tablets, this doesn't mean they're not contributing strongly to your desktop conversions.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the feedback.

A certain percentage of visitors on tablets may be indeed looking for a software to install on an other operating system. Obviously, these visitors are not as valuable to us as they will not be able to download and buy right there and then. These visitors will have to remember the name of our software and may come and visit our website later. It should be my choice to decide if I want to pursue them (I don't) and at the very least I should be able to lower my bid for these not so valuable visitors.

Regarding the ads and adding information about "Windows/Mac/Linux", yes, I have thought about that but that would take away other important keywords from my ads. Space is limited on the ads.

We really do need a way to exclude traffic based on devices or on operating system.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Im sick of the answer - "Tablet users are potential buyers too"... so what... Adwords is about getting the biggest bang for your buck. I want users sitting at a desk during 9-5 because they are most likely to buy our product, not someone on the lounge surfing the net with pizza stains over his shirt.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

John, I'm sorry you're sick of this answer but it's a valid one for very many companies and, since there is no evidence Google plans to change their targeting system, it's the only one we can give at this time.

I look at hundreds of Accounts a year and the majority handle tablet and mobile traffic very poorly, having no mobile-specific site and/or a very slow site.  These companies are not OS specific but direct sales or lead generation and their key problem is not that they are showing their Ads on tablets but that they do not provide a good experience for those tablet users once they land on their site.

If I'm honest, I would like to be able to adjust tablet modifiers as well, of course I would, I want as much control as possible over the display of my client Ads, but at the moment it's not possible so the best advice I and others can give is that advertisers make the best of that traffic and seek solutions to making it more profitable.  As always, if this doesn't work for you, there are other advertising solutions out there.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
John try this: go in Analytics and make a list of the most used tablets. Then exclude them in the campaign settings. That way you want exclude any tablet but it will still stop a lot of bad traffic which should result in better ROI