5.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Will 40 keywords/ad lower my quality? Debating single vs multiple ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a rarely searched service.  Each keyword only generates 0.5-3 clicks per day.  With 40 different keywords I can get around 50 clicks/day and hopefully one conversion.  The problem is that I think these keywords are pretty diverse (target different features of my service) and I worry that having such a diverse array of keywords for a single ad could drop my quality score and hence harm the placement.  Maybe I would be better to have 10 different ads each addressing a single prospect need.

To clarify, I am marketing looking for local investors in my area to lend their funds for private mortgages (I am not looking for borrowers, just the investors who form the other side of the deal).  Here are some keywords I am thinking about.

Keywords likely to lead to high conversion:

Syndicated mortgage
Arms length mortgage
Fortress Real Capital
Invest Dominion Lending
Invest mortgage broker
Invest mortgage alliance
Invest centum
Private lending
Hard money lending
Mortgage investing
Hard money
Second mortgage
Private mortgage

Mediocre keywords:

Private loan
Alternative investing
Alternative investments
Private investing

Poor keywords (lots of clicks but likely few conversions)

Better than mutual funds
Better than stocks
Alternative to stock market
Higher investment return
Retirement cash flow
Self directed RRSP
Smart investing
High interest rate
Cash flow investing
Alternative to mutual funds
Real estate investing
High yield
High yield investment

Really poor fit keywords:

Safer investing
Low risk investing
Secure investing
Retire young
Nesbitt Burns
Edward Jones
Find financial planner
Retirement income
Financial planner
Retire early
Investment returns
Financial advisor
Find financial advisor
Safe investing

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Will 40 keywords/ad lower my quality? Debating single vs multiple

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

I would say that if you have all of these keywords in one Ad Group (sharing one ad "message") then you don't really know which ones are good and which ones aren't. All you know is which ones aren't working with that ad.

Split your keyword list out into as many smaller, tightly themed Ad Groups as you need to. Write ad messaging designed to support the keywords in that specific Ad Group, and select the pages on your website that also best complements that group of keywords. 

Then, watch performance. Don't be in too big of a hurry to eliminate keywords--continue testing different ad messaging to see if you can find something that works. At the same time, create a robust negative keyword list to block searches you're not interesting in serving.

You don't say if you're using Broad match for these keywords--if you are, I would strongly suggest changing to either Modified Broad Match or a combination of both Phrase and Exact match for each keyword.  This will help ensure that you are getting the traffic most closely related to your keywords.

Just my $0.02 - hope that helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

There's some good advice there from Theresa!

I would maybe add that looking at your CTR and trying to focus on keywords with a good CTR (a good CTR is roughly over 1%) and keywords that convert the best for you is a good strategy to use. This will allow you to bid more on keywords that get you a better ROI and pause or remove keywords that give you a worse/no ROI. 

I hope this helps!

A.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Alys has a very good point about CTR being a good way to identify "good" or "bad" keywords but I would still strongly encourage you to split your keyword list into multiple Ad Groups and try some custom messaging before you make a decision about what is "good" or not.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*