AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why would a relevant keyword with a good ctr have low ad relevance and how can it be increased?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In many accounts I sometimes see keywords with good ctr that are relevant but have low ad relevance in their quality score breakdown. Why is this and how can ad relevance be increased in this situation?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why would a relevant keyword with a good ctr have low ad relevance and how can it be increased?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

You can find the full article here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1659752?hl=en-GB however:

A "below average" status means that your ad or keyword may not be specific enough or that your ad group may cover too many topics. Google suggest to try and create tightly-themed ad groups by making sure that your ads are closely related to a smaller group of keywords. You might already have implemented this but its worth checking. Next i would look at your keywords is it just one keyword with low ad relevance or is it a few? I usually add a label to keywords with low ad relevance, low ctr and low landing page experience and make changes accordingly to improve them. This might help you keep track of changes you need to make, highlight patterns in ad groups with low ad relevance (for example) and show you if changes you do make a difference.

It's possible for a keyword to have a high Quality Score and low ad relevance (or vice versa) because AdWords looks at a number of different quality factors when determining Quality Score. Even if your overall Quality Score is high, looking at the individual factors can help you identify potential areas for improvement. There are also various reasons as to why a keyword might have a high CTR i.e brand campaign, well known brand, position etc.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards, Grace

Re: Why would a relevant keyword with a good ctr have low ad relevance and how can it be increased?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Michael,

Most suggested way is to add keywords in tightly themed ad-groups and make relevant ad-copies for this.

Here is the link to create successful text ads: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704392?hl=en

You should add negative keywords on a regular basis in the campaign to get only the relevant traffic.

Here are links for some very good answers on this topic:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Scor...
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Recipe-to-making-the-perfect-Qu...

Hope it helps !!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Micheal,

>>> Why would a relevant keyword with a good ctr have low ad relevance ... ? <<<

The short answer is: it should not. When it still happens which is quite often the case it is typically caused by a poor history of how other advertisers used that keyword in the past. None of you fault.

You may want to bear with that KW for some extended period of time in which case you may finally convince the system that you are different. (Provided you are not very much cost sensitive.) Unfortunately there is no way of telling for how long because that depends on various ratios.

Best,
Lakatos

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
The question you should be asking is whether or not those terms/targeting methods are generating a profitable return on advertising spend. As Lakatos pointed out, keyword quality score is not entirely in your control. Rather than try to optimize your account(s) to improve quality score, you should be optimizing your accounts to improve every other metric that you actually have control over.

If the most valuable search term has a QS of 1, but generates the majority of the return on advertising, I'm going to keep targeting that KW, even though it has a "bad" QS. Keep experimenting with bids, targeting options, and ad content to try and improve your overall ROAS. Rather the QS eventually improves or not, you're still focusing on whats most important to you - Making you/your clients money! Smiley Happy
Tom