2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why won't Google use all of my adwords daily budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why won't google us all of my adwords daily budget. Initially I had set it at €15 per day which it kept exceeding so I increased it to €150 and now won't spend anymore than €10!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why won't Google use all of my adwords daily budget

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Caza and welcome to the forum.

AdWords can only spend what the people searching or using the web allow it to spend.  If you're running a Search campaign and it's €1 a click you need 150 people to click on that Ad to spend €150.  It doesn't matter how high you lift the daily budget, if only 10 people a day are clicking your Ads, you're only ever going to spend €10.

I can't explain why you previously saw the budget exhausted - I'd have to know your Account history to guess at this.  But if you want to increase your clicks you can look at your Ads and your Keywords to ensure your Ads are being shown to the right people and are attracting them to click.

1.  What network(s) are you targeting?  Search, Display or both?

2.  If on the Search network, what's a typical average CTR for your Ads?

3.  How many impressions per day are you getting?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI Caza

Welcome to the AdWords community :-)

It's natural to get fluctuations in search traffic and sometimes you may find that your budget won't be used entirely. Wow,  €150 is a big jump in daily budget from €15!! I think there are a few things to consider and check within your campaign.

Have you made any changes to the ads, keywords or any of your campaign/targeting settings? Any changes that could affect your ads visibility and resultantly how often it gets clicked. I personally would be more alarmed if I noticed a drop in performance such as clicks and conversions.

I'm also including an article about avoiding a depleated daily budget, it discusses recommended budget amounts, delivery methods etc. I think you may find this useful to read. I also think it would be a good idea for you to check your ads, keywords and performance statistics in general to make sure that there isn't a setting or some negative keywords for example that are preventing your ads from showing and thus missing clicks.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks for your reply. I'm targetting the search network, I'm running two ads one for standard and one for mobile.  My average CTR for last month was 2.84% for standard and 3.22% for mobile, this was at a €10 per day budget.  For the last week with increase in budget my CTR is 5.19 for standard and 3% for mobile.

Impresions for last week 13,313 

Impressions for last month 85,123

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What worries me is that I'm getting no conversions.  I increased the budget bit by bit so went to €30, then 35 then 75 then 100 then 150.  What I'm really concerned about is the lack of conversions and the fact that I'm now not even hitting the €15 per day figure,

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Just a heads up... you should consider your exposure... at $15 a day your exposure is $450 - as Hel_ipe says - going to $150 sends your exposure to $4500...

Anoither thing to look at is how many impresisons yo are getting and in what positions. If you have a very tight group of exact keywords you may only be triggering a handful of impressions each day - gain if your ad doesn't appear, then people can't click on it.

Equally, if you are using targeting on the Dsiplay newtork, and you have chosen, for example a couple of managed placements and a coiuple of dmeographics as well as some geo targeting, you might find that you are actually only targeting women between the ages of 20 and 25, who live in Smalltown, USA when that are on website.com - and that might be a very small daily number of potential targets.

And as for ad position, the CTR tends to drop quite dramatically after the 4th or 5th ad position... so look to see where your ads are positioned - and remember to look at the ad position in the context of ad scheduling - you might be getting really good ad positions at 4am, but really poor positions durnig waking hours.....

There'a a bunch of things that can influence - but once you've checked that things are set up in such a way as to not be effectively blocking impressions then the next thing to do is to bump of the bids quite dramatically and see what happens. I will often double or tripple a bid for a period to "kick start" traffic - and then adjust down once the flow starts.

Let us know if any of these suggestions help....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks I will try everything suggested.  Just one thing, I've just checked when I changed the budget versus impressions and they have reduced every day since increasing my budget.

WIth regard to my exposure I just wanted to see how much I needed to spend to get a certain number of people to my website and get a conversion.  If I was spending €150 per day I would have decreased it if I wasn't getting any conversions.  But I'm happy to pay a huge amout per day if I was getting the conversions to pay for it.  But I'm getting less impressions the more I try to spend.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Caza, with respect, what you're doing is a dangerous way to live Smiley Happy

My advice would always be to optimise your Account for conversions while your budget is relatively small.  If your site is not converting visitors into sales at €10 a day there's no reason to think it's suddenly going to start providing sales at €100 a day - all that's happening is that you're wasting €90 more per day than you were before.

Once you have established that your AdWords Account and your website are as good as they can possibly be and you have evidence that your Return on Investment is a Net profit, then yes, it makes sense to ramp up the spend - so long as you monitor that performance, it's not linear up to an infinite spend...  However, it sounds like you're a long way from being optimal yet and I really have to recommend that you bring your budget back down again and start investigating why you're not getting conversions while you're spending less money.

This forum is an excellent place to start that investigation.

A good place to start would be with your website.  This will tell us about your business and give us an opportunity to look for any potential problems there.

If you can provide your URL and let us know which products you're promoting, we can start looking for problems.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well through a bit of investigation I've come up with that I'm not getting enough visitors because of my ranking, I'm assuming it's organically.  Used free report on website which gave me good marks for most things and when I looked at it in adwords my loss through budget is 1.66% but on impression share is 38% for Standard and 69% for mobiles,  I'd love to put up my website up for your opinion but don't want to put it on a public forum in case my competitors see that I'm failing miserably Smiley Happy