1.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why the keyword suggestions?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have the phrase "maternity photography". It's working. Google then suggested I add "best maternity photography"

I did a test, "best maternity photography" already triggers my phrase "maternity photography". Why would I want to add it separately? Seems like just more work.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why the keyword suggestions?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Obviously, you don't have to add these phrases. If you feel your current keyword list is already serving your needs, then you don't need to change it at all.

Many advertisers feel that using keywords that more precisely match their customers' search queries allows them to write ads that also more closely match--and the closer your ad matches the person's search query, the more likely they are to click in the ad.

Longer or more precise keywords can also "filter" the kind of search traffic you get. For instance, using the word "best" might automatically filter out people looking for the cheapest possible service--might attract clients with more money to spend.  Just a thought.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
In general, the longer the keyword, the more relevant your ad will be, as Theresa explains - the advantage of this is that the keyword, if it matches the ad and the landing page is relevant then the click through rate should be better and your Quality Score should improve... the further consequence of this is that the longer keyword will cost you less for the same ad slot - or you'll get a better ad slot for the same cost - and as time goes by, your return should improve.

Trying to match keywords and search terms as closely as possible is what we try to do. The better we do it the better the camapigns tend to perform.

Is the work required justified by the improvement in returns? That's the big question... it will often depend upon the volume. Is there a difference for what you will pay for "maternity photography" compared with "best maternity photography"? And does that difference impact on the ROI?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
So I would only add the phrase with 'best' if my landing page contains that word, correct? Or rather I should add those words to the landing page to make it relevant.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
@greenbear521

You can add "best maternity photography" as another keyword in your Adgroup and you might see lower competition and you can get a lower CPC. Adding this wont harm your campaign as Google Adwords matches the users query to the closest keyword in your Adgroup. So if user enters the phrase "best maternity photography" and you have this as a keyword, this will win compared to your "maternity photography"

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It is not mandatory to have "best" keyword in your landing page but as you said to make it relevant you may add it to your landing page.