654 members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why search ad position differs based on cookies or Last visit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Once I visit the search ad running website, the next moment when I search for the same keyword and finds the search ad position for the same  website differs or brought down. Does Google change the position of ads based on cookies or previous visit? Can you please explain this with a suitable Google reference link

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Selva,

Yes.

Google will use your past behaviours to modify search results, both organic and paid.

How and when it does it is not public knowledge.

But I do know that when a client repeatedly search for their brand, their brand ads stop showing. Because they didn't click on them.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Selva,

Yes.

Google will use your past behaviours to modify search results, both organic and paid.

How and when it does it is not public knowledge.

But I do know that when a client repeatedly search for their brand, their brand ads stop showing. Because they didn't click on them.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Selva,

Please check the information in the 'Tips' box on this reference link - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704364?hl=en&ref_topic=3121934

Which says "If you repeatedly look for your own ad using Google search but never click on it, you might stop seeing it entirely. That's because Google's system stops showing you ads that it thinks you aren't interested in." 

Probably the same rule is applicable (I could not find a Google reference) when you click on a search result and immediately do a search with the same keyword again. The system may lower the position of the previously clicked ad, because if you are satisfied with the result  of your click, you will not immediately do a search again with the same keyword and you will not be interested in the same ad and website.

Deepak