AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why no benchmark CTR/CPC metrics for text ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can find benchmark CTR/CPC metrics for product ads. This information helps me know how my competitors are bidding and performing for similar products. But why no benchmark CTR/CPC metrics for text ads, where can I know how my competitors are bidding and performing for same keywords?

Another question, why are there no benchmark CTR/CPC metrics in Ad Group or Campaign level? It should be fairly easy to provide them by just aggregating the metrics for products, isn't it?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lei W
September 2015

Re: Why no benchmark CTR/CPC metrics for text ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lei,

Welcome again!

Benchmark metrics are available for Shopping Campaigns and it is not available for other campaign types at the moment.

The first thing that comes into my mind is that Google had a very planned launch for Shopping Campaigns and thus it could segment businesses by their industry types very well. You can see businesses are categorised based on their primary nature viz. retail, travel, education, and so on... This is the reason Google has very much strategic and segmented data and as a results it knows the industry trends better and the data is available as Benchmarks in Shopping Campaigns. 

But it is not the case for general search and display campaigns. Businesses are not categorized strategically there, hence benchmarking could be a difficult task.

However, let's keep our fingers crossed. Google is known to do amazing things, and it can read your mind as well Smiley Happy. It read mine recently by launching a separate call-only campaign for search network.  Smiley Happy

Your next question -  Why are there no benchmark CTR/CPC metrics in Ad Group or Campaign level?

Is that required? I don't think so, you can already see these data for your product groups, can't you?  Yes, there you go!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lei W
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lei,

Welcome again!

Benchmark metrics are available for Shopping Campaigns and it is not available for other campaign types at the moment.

The first thing that comes into my mind is that Google had a very planned launch for Shopping Campaigns and thus it could segment businesses by their industry types very well. You can see businesses are categorised based on their primary nature viz. retail, travel, education, and so on... This is the reason Google has very much strategic and segmented data and as a results it knows the industry trends better and the data is available as Benchmarks in Shopping Campaigns. 

But it is not the case for general search and display campaigns. Businesses are not categorized strategically there, hence benchmarking could be a difficult task.

However, let's keep our fingers crossed. Google is known to do amazing things, and it can read your mind as well Smiley Happy. It read mine recently by launching a separate call-only campaign for search network.  Smiley Happy

Your next question -  Why are there no benchmark CTR/CPC metrics in Ad Group or Campaign level?

Is that required? I don't think so, you can already see these data for your product groups, can't you?  Yes, there you go!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I would add one more thing. If you need to check how your competitors are doing, you can use Auction Insights.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Your reply is very helpful, thank you!