Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why my quality score is not increasing?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am doing everything right as i went through several information areas,communities,forums and found that i am doing everything right still my Quality Score is not increasing.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Mudasir,

Wait for few days to check if quality score increases or not. usually changes takes couple of days to reflect updated QA.

Regards,

Manish

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well it has been 2 weeks now.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Sounds like you are doing all the obvious things, including making full use of all available Ad Extensions.

What is your CTR?  The CTR may be below average for your industry sector / keyword.

Here is how you can improve it:

- Set "Ad Rotation" (settings page) to: "Rotate indefinitely...", all the time (not "Optimize for..." or "Rotate evenly...").

- Run two ads at a time during this optimization process (no more, no less) and it will go faster.

- Write a second ad using different copy. Make it compelling, empathetic, with a clear value prop and call to action.

- Split test until you have 200 impressions on each ad, then pick a winner (highest CTR and conversion rate). 

- Keep repeating - sometimes it may take 10 versions of new ads until you find a real winner and reach the point of diminishing returns. 

- Once finished and a long-term winning ad is in place, set ad rotation to "Optimize for conversions".

Once you get the CTR above average for your keywords, then quality score should climb to 7 or higher. It may take a few weeks for QS to catchup to CTR. 

hth

Re: Why my quality score is not increasing?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The quality of your ads is calculated for each auction they enter. But the actual Quality Score you see in your account is not an exact representation of those real-time ad quality calculations—there are just too many factors that are taken into account for every auction to allow one figure to fully capture your quality. Instead, the Quality Score you see is a more diagnosis of your overall performance in those auctions CTR,, ad relevance, and landing page experience.which also includes comes from past performance data. 

I recommend analyzing the 3 factors belowv

- Expected clickthrough rate

-Ad relevance
-Landing page experience

-Julia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Steve,

I completely agree what you said or mentioned but I have already done most of the things you described.

I expect a solid resolution.

Thank You

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mudasir B
January 2017

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mudasir,

CTR is not really deterministic, or something which you can likely "expect a solid resolution" on. It's designed to be that way. Google does not disclose the specifics of precisely what goes into Quality Score, the weighting, or the heuristics because it would lead to "gaming".  But they do provide general guidelines. 

CTR is about half of what weighs into quality score, in my estimation.  

The best approach is to work on things you can control: keywords, bids, ad copy, and landing page experience.

You didn't share your CTR or vertical; but keep in mind it is a comparative score. Google is comparing your CTR to the CTR of other advertisers using the same keyword. So even what would normally be considered a good CTR, can lead to a low QS for some keywords.  You are in effect, competing with your competitors' ad copy. 

If the ad position is too low due to the bid being too low, your CTR will fall off. 

It is often said that Google calculates QS based upon the exact match version of a keyword, but i have not found a way to verify that.

Ad copy needs to provide a compelling, unique value proposition and back it up with a little social proof or a call to action.

The landing page should contain information about the topic the keyword relates to, or the keyword itself. Look at your title, headings (H2 H3 etc), image tag, and body text and see if the landing page provides what is being searched for.  The page should load in 3 seconds or less, preferably on the faster side; and should be mobile-friendly (responsive).  Google may follow any links from the page to derive further signals as to relevancy. 

Quality scores are important; but my advice is (also) don't drive yourself crazy chasing quality scores. Google doesn't want us to know everything about Quality Scores; that's the way it's supposed to be.  They want advertisers to be constantly striving towards the ideals - high relevance, and a great user experience on the LP.  If the secrets of QS were all out in the open, becoming fully deterministic then they would be immediately gamed, destroying their usefulness in short order. 

Advertisers are SUPPOSED to be a little bit perplexed about QS.  I just follow Google's guidelines and best practices, and it has worked out well over time. Many campaigns perform quite well with less-than-ideal quality scores.

"CTR/quality score improvement" is a vast topic, that volumes have been written about. But that is my two centsSmiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve

Thank You.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You're welcome Mudasir, and best of luck with your campaign!