AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why my RLSA & Display Remarketing list size is different ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

While Browsing Shard Library i found my Search list is as of half as compared to display remarketing list, do anyone know about it ?

Re: Why my RLSA & Display Remarketing list size is different ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Maybe the Display list is old and has grown for a while while the Search list started adding cokkies not so long ago?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Asuming that you are reffering to a default option "all my visitors" with a setting of 30 days AND you have implemented the adwords remarketing tags more than 30 days ago :

1) The RLSA cookies as explained by David are only 15 days old ( aproximately) , while the other cookies are 30 days old

If you have implemented the remarketing tag earlyer than 30 days :

2) Are the  RLSA cookies only gathering visitors from the paid searches , while the other remarketing tag gather all visitors even from organic / reffereal / direct visits ?

Maybe this is why the "Display network" remarketing list will always have more visitors than the "Search network" remarketing list.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Both of my lists were created same time having similar cookie period & i never sagrigated my list as paid or unpaid basis.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandeep K
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sandeep,

There are two reasons the numbers will vary.

1) Google uses a different cookie for their search and display remarketing lists. While they are very similar, with any occurrence of multiple tags, there's bound to be (hopefully minimal) discrepancy. Perhaps a browser loaded one cookie but not the other, a security setting flagged one, etc. This should make up a very small portion of the difference, but still accounts for some.

2) Your Membership Duration is different, for now. Assuming you have a 30+ day cookie length (which is the default), the cookies have not existed for the same amount of time (yet). Search Remarketing lists were introduced with RLSA on June 25th, so it's been about 21 days at the time of this writing. Those 9 days difference are where your audience size is going to vary. In another week and a half, those users from 6/15 - 6/24 will be dropping out of your display list and your search/display list sizes should be much closer to one another from then on. Just happens to be a new feature, so not yet fully synched to all your old setups. It will be, though, soon.

There is no bias between the referring source, so doesn't matter if they came from paid, organic, referral, whatever.

Hope this helps.

N/A
# 6
N/A

Hi,

To me it looks like the "Include past visitors that match these rules" feature doesn't work correctly for Google Search, but only for Display Network.

I created a rule based list yesterday with the "Include past visitors that match these rules" option selected, and today the numbers are: Google Search - 500 and Display Network - 21,000.

500 is what I would expect if the "Include past visitors that match these rules" option wasn't checked.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
'The search list doesn't include users who are signed-in to Google. This is an effort to protect user privacy.'

How true is this?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Venkat T,

This is true, even if it is not presented in the documentation for RLSA . I received a confirmation from a Google representative in this thread :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Better-understanding-of-how-Remarketing-li...

Quote from Message 6

"In this scenarion, logged-in users (users logged in to a Google account) are not eligible to be added to remarketing for search lists due to user privacy."