Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why is this happening?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm running an Google Display Network campaign with decent volume straight to an offer.

Here's the thing:

A week ago or so the traffic on the display network increased rapidly and my bank declined the visa card I have in adwords (visa limits). While the card got declined the whole campaign stopped showing impressions for a few hours until I spoke to my bank.

I have since then removed the card limits and everything is running again, but my CPC has gone up and conversion rate on the offer has gone down across the board.

The CPC only increased with maybe 10 cent (so not that much), but the conversion rate on the offer really went down which messes up the CPA. I have only ran the offer for maybe a couple of months, and I doubt the market has gotten saturated so fast, since its a very big market and the offer was converting really well.

This went from a well oiled machine to barely profitable in the blink of a second.

I have waited some time hoping it would get back to normal, but it hasn't.

Do you have any idea what is going on here, and how to fix it?

Thanks for your time!

Best regards,

Dave Williams

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why is this happening?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
This sounds a bit weird .... How long the campaign was down?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Maybe like 6-8 hours tops.

Maybe it has something to do that while it paused I lost the current placements I had, and when it got up again it started showing on slightly different websites?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hmm...could be ...what targeting methods are you using on GDN?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Only keyword targeting.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Could you try and raise the bid a bit...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Dave,

firstly my approach is to work out where your conversions were coming from - not just clicks. Whilst this won't fix your problem, it'll take you a step forward in repairing the damage that was done.

You've got the data where people were buying - there is so much data that Google can give you, it'll show you where most of your profits are coming from. Localize your campaign on that demographic slice of the market - locality, age, gender, you name it - and get it working.

Then you can go back and worry about things that are much harder to fix. At least whilst you fix them you'll know your campaign's in better shape and earning you a bit of money.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Em,
you should run the placement report for the period before the card was declined and the period after, and see if there is any notable difference...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try the things you suggested and get back to you.

I might also be suspecting that this is happening because of ad fatigue. I have one "jet stream ad" in every adgroup that's been running solo for some time, and I think it's getting a bit tired.

Anyway, I have a whole sequence of stuff I'm going to try now slowly day by day to see where the problem is.

Thanks again,

Dave

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You used that word "jet stream" - do you understand Perry Marshall's "Swiss Army Knife" - it's great for reviving tired campaigns.

Getting creative with ads is huge fun too!