AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why is my quality score bad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created a targeted Campaign within a city where a Church is being planted. I added the Keyword Church, "Church" and [Church]. The add reads: 

I have the same ad in for regular and mobile. 

My quality score is 5/10. It says Below average on Ad Relevance and Expected Click Through. It says Above Average on Landing Page. How do I improve this?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Why is my quality score bad?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Please also remember that for new campaigns the QS is not actually based on your data, but rather an aggregated data set from everyone else who has used these keywords in the past. Only after a few days will your data build and the QS start to truly reflect your own situation.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
First: your search keyword very short only "Church" and [church]. People seem did not try that short keyword much. That make your AdRank low.
Second: Your landing page must have the words "Church" and URL and tag <title>

Hope that it help to improve your Ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Doesn't the broad keyword of Church leave it so anything around the word Church will come up? This is a word millions of people search each day.

Also, my landing page is above average, so that's not the problem.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Please also remember that for new campaigns the QS is not actually based on your data, but rather an aggregated data set from everyone else who has used these keywords in the past. Only after a few days will your data build and the QS start to truly reflect your own situation.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Noah C Smiley Happy. Welcome to the community.
After reading your post, in my opinion, I find that your ad relevance is below average because it is not that specific and usually the ads can be found in the paid results. So, it makes sense that it is below average as people just browsing. You could add some unique keywords that only you have the specialties.
For the landing page, it's really good to have the above average Smiley Happy.

Well,that is just my insights. Good luck Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone else? Really want to drive traffic here. I can spend quite a bit per day, but I am just not getting the impressions.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Then hike up your bids ... there are a few factors at play... your bid / the competition's bids / your quality score... the only one you can do anything about right now is your bid... and try setting your ad delivery to accelerated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Im at $2 cpc, cant go any higher.... I dont think the competition is higher.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Noah,

Well, logically a broad keyword 'Church' should trigger your ad very often & get you many impressions. But you should keep in mind Google is very particular about quality and relevance.

If any person searching Google using a query 'church' and doesn't find your ad relevant s/he won't click on your ad. Its very difficult to judge the search intent behind such a broad keyword especailly when organinc results are more relevant and then Google won't display your ad at all.

So the best advice is to cast your net wider and have more chances of your ad being displayed and clicked.

I suggest you to do good keyword research by using "Keyword Planner" tool and other tools available. Add as many related keywords to your campaign as possible and segment them by using different adgroups. After sometime you will be able to see which keywords are working best for you.

Also you can target a specific geographic location with your campaign. 

For keyword research you can start by using keyword planner and 'church' as seed word you will get lot of adgroup ideas and keyword ideas just try all of them and monitor closely the performance and outcome.

Another option is just try display network  which will surely get you impressions. Target using specific interests. People might not be searching actively for local churches but showing them your ad might make the interested.

You can also augment your efforts with offline marketing.

Hope you find this helpful! If need any other help regarding keyword research just post here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello , because you cannot bid higher than 2$ my guess is that you have a Grants Account. In this case please read point 2 from this thread :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Keywords-stuck-at-quality-score-1/m-p/234261...

Also try to use +church instead of simple broad church.

To verify competition use the Auction Insights report, you will be surprised of the results.

To diagnose if you are receveing a good share of impressions verify the custom columns for the metrics Impression Share or Lost IS due to Ad Rank.Good Luck !