AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why is my ad not showing regularly even though I have no competition for my keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new to AdWords. Just made my first campaign 4 days ago. The product that I am advertising is very specific and the keywords are not common so I know that people searching those keywords are really searching for my product. This lets me believe that my relevance must be quite high. The problem is that even though I have no competition for my keywords and no other ads are showing for them Google seems to show my ad very rarely. I have so few impressions per day that I cannot even reach my daily budget even though my click through rate is slightly above 6% which I believe is not bad. So in conclusion I am very relevant, I have money in my budget and I have no competition. So what might be the reason for my ad not showing on every search? I forgot to share that I have chosen the ad delivery method to be accelerated so that Google doesn't try to safe my budget and spread it throughout the day.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why is my ad not showing regularly even though I have no competition for my keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dimitar,
Just have a look at this link and let Google help you find the reasons for your problem -
https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/1711301?hl=en

Even though everything is fine, you need to have a threshold Ad Rank for Google to show up your ad. Try raising your CPC a bit.

Hope it helps!
Regards,
Loukik

Re: Why is my ad not showing regularly even though I have no competition for my keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dimitar,
Some other reasons can be -
Ad scheduling - You may not be able to find your ad if you've scheduled it to only run at certain hours of the day, or days of the week. Find out if you’ve selected scheduled by visiting the Ad Schedule subtab in your campaign settings.

Searching for your own ad on Google - If you repeatedly search for your own ad on Google Search but never click on it, you may stop seeing it. That's because Google's system recognizes your computer and stops showing you ads that it thinks you aren't interested in. Remember to use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool to view your ad as it appears in Google search results instead of performing a regular search. It prevents you from racking up impressions while you try to locate your ad.

Account under review - Google may periodically review accounts for security purposes and to verify billing information. If your account is under review your ads won't show during this time period. This process is designed for your protection and to maintain the quality and security of AdWords. Your ads will be eligible to show as soon as your account is out of review, usually within three business days.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Dimitar,

As Loukik says, try raising your bids. Google does have minimum bids that aren't always obvious.

Also, if you use the Tools > Ad Preview tool, do see the ads of others, your ads, or no ads?

Also, add in the Impression Share columns to get a good look at how often your ads are showing - instructions here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, Loukik,
Thank you for your fast reply!
I always use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool to check if my ad is showing because I indeed don't want to rack up my impressions. When I use the tool I put a keyword in and hit the preview button, if the ad doesn't show I keep hitting preview and eventually it shows. This happens with all my keywords, for every 20 searches Google shows my ad once.
Indeed it says that my ad rank is too low (6/10) but what I don't understand is why. I am selling a textbook and the landing page that I am sending people to is designed especially for that textbook, no ads, no irrelevant information. The page is very fast to load and very easy to navigate. All those reasons must be enough for Google to rank this very relevant. Moreover my ad uses text from my landing page so when people click on it they know exactly what to expect and where it will lead them, so my ad must be considered relevant. I also mentioned that since my keywords are very specific I am sure that the people searching those terms are definitely searching for my product. Also I have no competition for those keywords because in my country, Bulgaria, nobody uses AdWords to advertise textbooks yet.
I understand that since my ad is quite new and I have only slightly above 100 impressions probably Google needs more info to put a real rating on my ad and maybe now it's just putting some estimated rank. But if it show my ad so rarely it will take a week until I get to 1000 impressions and enough data for Google to rate me higher.
Of course I can always raise my bid for CPC but what's the point if Google only charges just enough for you to be on first position and since I have no competition when my ad show I am always on first position even with a small bid?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, RobSkelton,
Thank you for the reply!
I have the Impression Share column and now it shows 51 % for my campaign while yesterday it was 66%. I don't really understand how that works.
When I use the tool and when my ad shows it always shows on first position and when it doesn't show no other ads are showing just organic results.
What are those Google minimum bids? When I was reading and watching tutorials about AdWords this was never mentioned.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Dimitar,

Sometimes for new accounts it takes a couple of days for the ads to start showing properly. You should give yourself a couple more days and the ads will settle to show your products regularly.
you should also use your reports on impressions to see how often your ad is being displayed. If not often that means not many people are searching for your book.
lastly using the keyword planner it will help you see how many times certain keywords were searched. if they are few then you shouldnt expect a lot of traffic
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dimitar I
August 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Dimitar,
Even if you have zero competition, it doesn't mean you can show your ad by just spending 1$.
You need to have a minimum threshold adrank for which you can't have a too low CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Zablon,

I admit I might a little too impatient to see results but maybe most people that just start feel that way. :-)
I will give it some time.
Indeed there are only few searches for my keywords because the subject is very specific but this is why I believe I am so relevant. Only 210 average monthly searches for my most searched keyword. Not easy to get your impressions up with that search volume. Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey, Loukik,
Thanks for the advice! I guess I was expecting my clicks to cost almost nothing if I have no competition. Smiley Happy
I will wait for a couple more days then if nothing changes I will raise my bids for CPC and see what happens.
In the meantime I will run another campaign for a product that is much more searched for and see if it makes the difference. Smiley Happy

Thank you all for the replies and the advice!
Have a great day... or night, depending in which time zone you are. Smiley Wink