Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why is QS different for very similar keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi first time commenting,

I have in my ad groups some keywords that are very similar yet a couple of keywords have a QS (quality score) of 8 and others that are very similar have a QS of 6, why is this? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ahmed Ali (Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Why is QS different for very similar keywords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the AdWords Community!

You'll sometimes see varying Quality Scores even for similar Keywords because the AdWords system calculates Quality Scores per Keyword and takes into Account each Keyword's historical CTR, the relevance to the Ad, the relevance to the Landing Page, performance by device, etc.  Performance will vary by Keyword and therefore so does Quality Score.

My personal opinion is to focus less on what the Quality Scores are for individual Keywords and more on how your overall performance is doing.  If a Keyword has a low Quality Score but performs well for you, I'd still continue to bid on that Keyword.  Conversely, if a Keyword had a great Quality Score, but never led to any Conversions or Assisted Conversions, I'd consider pausing it.

Per Google: "Keep in mind that Quality Score is intended to give you a general sense of the quality of your ads, but it doesn't take into account any auction-time factors, such as someone's actual search terms, type of device, language preference, location, or the time of day. Similarly, the components of Quality Score that you see in your account -- expected clickthrough rate (CTR)ad relevance, and landing page experience, each with a descriptive estimate such as "average" or "above average" -- also don't consider auction-time factors.

Instead, every time one of your ads competes in the auction, AdWords calculates real-time measurements of expected CTR, ad relevance, and landing page experience that, together with your bid and other factors, produce a score called Ad Rank. It's this auction-time Ad Rank -- not the Quality Score estimates you see in your account -- that determines where your ad appears on the page or whether it appears at all."

AdWords Quality Score

Check and Understand Quality Score