2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why is Ad Viewed on Partner Sites only?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using Google Adwords Express for now.  When looking at the stats on views, over 90% is viewed on Partner sites.  I'd like to know why Partner sites and not Google searches?  What is the criteria that is driving the ad to partner sites?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Suzanne A

what area are you targeting and what kind of keywords are you sponsoring? is it possible for you to share a screenshot of the data you are seeing?

Re: Why is Ad Viewed on Partner Sites only?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@David K

See the screen capture below...red circles, shows only partner sites not Google search.  Unless I am not understanding what I'm looking at!  Thank you!

Google screen cap Partner sites.png

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Suzanne A

Thanks for taking the time to do that.  It's most helpful.  I see that it's data from the day you posted this, yesterday.  It is possible that there was some data lag. When you log in today, and select yesterday only in the date range, what do you see?  Still 100% search partners?

May I ask what area you are targeting?  Is this one city, multiple cities, an entire country?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@David K 

Thanks for responding.  Actually, this is one of 3 ads that I ran and all of them had 100% Google Partners and 0% for Google searches.  I am going to start using the main Google Adwords in hopes that it will be resolved there.  I am new to Google Adwords entirely and was getting my feet wet with the Xpress version.  My target was 2 counties in the US.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Suzanne A

so today it is showing that all your impressions and clicks from yesterday are 100% search partner?  What about the actual keywords that received clicks? I noticed in your screenshot that was all still zero, which is why I suggested there was reporting lag.

In regular Adwords, you can definitely remove the search partner network entirely. This way your ads only serve on actual Google search.

The reason I'm interested in this is that I am pretty confident that I have detected some fraud issues with the search partner network in various accounts I manage.  This is why the keywords that actually got clicks are important to me.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Suzanne A and @David K,

With AdWords Express, things work quite differently from AdWords. 

AdWords Express does not use the keyword targeting method. It takes your search term phrases, business location, business type, website or G+ landing page, budget... and shapes where to best place your ads automatically (like AdWords) but differently, too.

With that said, if you have your account settings targeting a small geo radius, then the opportunities to show your ad are more robust on the Search partners. Or if you are targeting a large area with a small budget, it could be used up on the Search Partners and not leaving a change for Google Search to be utilized. These are two possible situations you are encountering. 

The first things you should do is to learn about Adwords Express, not AdWords. This community is for AdWords and the information you learn here will be useless to you and cause more issues with AdWords Express. We have a AdWords Express help community next door and you should repost your inquiry there and start over. I would move this thread there but it would be more confusing for those there since there is a blend of talks here.

However, if you plan to use AdWords, then you should immediately move your advertising to it and keep learning here (omitting the learning and new thread in AdWords Express). Support can help you close out your AdWords Express account and migrate it to AdWords.  

In essence, there is no need in troubleshooting AdWords Express if you are stopping it and moving to AdWords. Your performance metrics will not be the same and your actions will not be, either. 

Please note that AdWords is 10,000 times more complex than AdWords Express... so learn as much as you can before spending money with it. Start with a very small budget and run it for a few weeks and learn. Use the Google AdWords Best Practices information to guide you... and ask questions here in the community as you encounter them. David is quite helpful and does a great job of showing how we are all here to assist. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the helpful response!  I tried out AdWords Express bc it seemed less daunting then AdWords.  I am learning the latter in hope to use that one in the future due to the robust nature of it.

Again, many thanks!

suzanne