AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why google algorithms prefer ads with lower ctr on rotate for clicks?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have some ads groups which are set on rotate for clicks and it seems Google gives higher impression share to ads, while killing other ads. but a lot of the times the ads that were killed have higher or equal average ctr - why does this happen?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why google algorithms prefer ads with lower ctr on rotate for clic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alex;

Honestly, I tried for a long time to "crack" the logic behind "better performing ads",  and at some point,  just switched to  rotate evenly.

After the campaign has gained  enough impressions and clicks  (so I could say there is enough statistical data), - I am able to see the better performing ads, and to pause the rest.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

If I am allowed to add my less experienced opinion : 

To me rotate for clicks means "what ads attract a higher volume of clicks".

It does not matter that Ad1 has a CTR of 10% if Ad2 has a word that represents a high volume keyword, Ad2 will be triggered more. 

My advice, look at the ad with the highest volume of clicks and use the button "Segment" with the option "Keyword / Placement" to find out what keyword brings the most clicks to that Ad.

You may find out that the keyword that triggers that Ad has the most volume of clicks from that ad group.

Maybe the higher click volume Ad has that keyword in its text and it is considered more relevant.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Moshe,

It would seem strange to me that google sophisticated as they are can't design a decent a/b testing algorithm for something as crucial as ad rotation (higher average ctr% of even 0.1 means they profit millions more) . maybe there are some hidden variables?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Alex;

Adwords campaign  experiments, lets you test different versions of ad-copy.

I "tend" / incline not to bring it up in my replies, since you do need some background in statistics to use this tool.

So, if you do have some scientific / engineering / data analysis background - you may test the tool.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2385204?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Moshe,

I used ACE before (for bidding strategy testing), but i don't see the advantage of using it over roatate evenly, do i miss anything?

But if i understand correctly you think that "rotate for clicks" cannot be trusted for ad testing?

תודה על התשובות.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

No; 

What I mean is that you could test your ad-copy is two ways: either by campaign  experiments or by rotating evenly;

I would not say that you cannot  trust "rotate for clicks" - I said Google  does not disclose the formula,...