AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why does keyword have Low Expected Clickthrough Rate?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I carry a new product and started a new campaign for them over the weekend.  All the quality scores looked good (6 or 7 with average ratings) and I bid up my keywords (exact, phrase, and modified broad match) up to get the number one spots and try to improve the quality score further.  And I landed clickthrough rates of 5% to 25% which I thought was fantastic.  My other campaigns have 7 quality scores with 2-3% average clickthrough rates and evalutions of "average" or "above average".

Here's the rub.  My keywords are now showing an expected click through rate of "Below Average" and quality scores have decreased to 4 or 5 out of 10.  How can I possibly get a Below Average expected clickthrough rate on keywords where I'm getting 5% through 25% clickthrough rates (really high CTR)?  Can my competition really be getting that much higher clickthrough?

Is there somewhere I can look to start to sort through this? What can I do to improve my keyword rating and Quality Score?"

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Low Expected Clickthrough Rate?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Crmorrison3,

This is currently a hot topic here.

You may find some interesting information here:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Landing-page-experience-quot-and-quot-ad-relevanc...

and here:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/Quality-score-and-the-new-extra-info-is-it-...

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I think you should also not mis this one:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Re-Woke-up-one-morning-to-find-quality-score...  in which Google employee Vla explains how things realy work .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've read some of those threads, but one of them had some ideas which really did help, thank you!

My Expected CTR instantly goes from "Below Average" to "Average" after I LOWER my bid from $1.5 to $0.9.

Now, why in the heck does my Expected CTR change negatively when I increase my bid?  Especially on a keyword which I'm getting 10% CTR on.  Aargh!

Thank you guys!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So they didn't answer your question at all, but marked it as solved. Nice.

Why does your Expected CTR go down when your bid goes up? There's no apparent reason for that.

Google?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is there anyone there can help with this question? Higher your bid would lower your Expected CTR?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google has different expected CTRs for different positions. The higher the position you want, the higher your CTR must be.

Say, you bid $1.5 - this tells Google, you want position "1". For that position Google diagnoses your KW&Ad combination with "below average" expected CTR.

Now, you bid $0.9 - this tells Google, you want position "4". For that position Google diagnoses your KW&Ad combination with "average" expected CTR.

Lowering you bid, will lower your position and thus will raise your expected CTR.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Lowering the ad position will lower the expected CTR because the Ad gets shown together with the top ads but it gets less clicks from being lower on the screen so even if impression volume is almost the same the clicks are less => less CTR.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can any please help me with the same Question?

Some of my campaign potential keywords expected CTR showing low from last few days, though it is placed in 2nd position?

I have done all the possible ways(optimization) to improve my keywords expected CTR but nothing has given me results?

I need to improve my keywords QS ASAP!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Pradeep,

You mentioned that you have optimized to improve CTR, what types of things have you been doing? Just want to try to avoid redundant responses if possible.

It sounds like maybe your ads could be improved to be more relevant to your keywords. I would take a look at your ads and see if any have lower CTR than others. If so, pause the poor performing ones (unless they are converting better) and write new ones. It's good to run 2-3 ads at a time, That way you can measure performance against each other and you always have a baseline for testing.

It could be that the keyword set you are targeting is too broad. Take a look through your keywords and see if any are generating a lot of impressions without clicks or with a low click-through rate. If so, you should take a look at the SQR and see what types of queries you are appearing for. You can either pause keywords that are too broad or add negatives.

Hope this helps!