AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why does automatic bidding allow my keyword-bids to fall to 0?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have had Campaigns for a customer on Auto Bidding since Feb, however towards the end of last month I have noticed that almost all of the keywords in more than one Campaign have dropped to $0 (no bid) or some $0.01, which is far under the 1st page bid!  I reset the bid to manual with a realistic bid, then back to auto to see how long it will last at the increased bid-level, just to notice that within minutes they are down to $0!!!

What is causing Auto Bidding to decrease to that extend, and how can I prevent this from happening if I still want to make use of Auto Bidding?

Thanks

Nicola

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why does automatic bidding allow my keyword-bids to fall to 0?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nicola,
Welcome to the community.

With automatic bidding, it's important to realize that you are giving Google permission to get you the most amount of clicks for your BUDGET. Google will not allocate these clicks evenly throughout your keywords. It's fairly simple, get the most clicks for your budget.

This means that some keywords will be effectively removed from the "rotation" by means of reduced CPCs in favour of the higher volume keywords that will provide more clicks at a cheaper price.

I would highly recommend using bid adjustments or automated rules to have more control over this process. Here's a great thread on the subject - https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Bid-ajustments-or-Automatics-rule...