AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why do my ads have a high position rating and do not appear on the first page of Google Search?

zf
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
zf
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have set up Google Adwords and have a lot of Ad groups, ads and keywords. I am also reading Google Adwords for Dummies and I am really confused why I am getting lots of impressions, quite a few clicks but it is not generating any more business.  I  am not sure if I am doing something wrong. If you create an ad does it just appear in the ad box at the top of the page or is it still an ad if it appears on the google search page. Help

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why do my ads have a high position rating and do not appear on the first page of Google Search?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello zf,

Welcome to adwords!

To answer your question no you are not always at the top of the first page. This all depends on your quality score, bids, relevency, etc.. The ads are located to the top and on the right hand side of the search results. Everything in the middle is organic listings. I am attaching a link to explain it further.

Ad positioning http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722122

Good luck Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Why do my ads have a high position rating and do not appear on the first page of Google Search?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi zf and welcome to the world of Adwords!

May I first offer a word or two of caution.  From your post it's clear that you're just starting to learn Adwords but that you already have at least one active campaign showing ads.  It is very easy to spend a lot of money for little or no return when you don't have a firm understanding of what is going on.  Make sure you understand all about daily budgets and how much you are likely to spend over time.  If you're not certain, pause all your campaigns until you can find the answers you need.

Why aren't you seeing new business?  In a simple way, Adwords ads can be compared to people strolling down a shopping mall.  Impressions are much like the displays in shop fronts trying to attract attention to certain products while clicks are just like someone actually going into the store in question.  Just like a high street store, where not everyone who comes in will buy something, not everyone who clicks on your ad and visits your site will buy your product.  

You may have some more specific problems as well.  Are people expecting to buy a product you don't sell?  Are your prices too high or is it difficult to complete the sale (complex design).  It's a constant surprise to me how many websites seem to actively hide their purchase process...

Do please come back with any other questions you may have.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits