AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why do keywords keep showing up despite the negative keyword?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not sure if I understand how negative works.. or if im implementing incorrectly.

1) i have this keyword

"wind power"

as negative (negative phrase match)... yet, in the search keyword report, I see this:

wind power companies in CA

2) I have this keyword

stock

as negative (negative broad), yet i see this in search keyword report:

solar energy stocks to buy

3) I have this keyword

rv

as negative (negative broad) in a keyword list, yet i see this in search keyword report:

rv solar panels installation

Can someone explain why this is so?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why do keywords keep showing up despite the negative keyword?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

2) I have this keyword 

stock 

as negative (negative broad), yet i see this in search keyword report: 

To prevent your query for the search term solar energy stocks to buy, you also need to add stocks (broad) as negative.

There can be two possibility in my opinion:

1) Time range you selected for SQR report is before adding these keywords as negatives.

2) You may added negative keywords at adgroup level and analysis search query at campaign level.

I suggest you to check in Ad Preview Tool which adgroup/keywords are triggeting these queries.

Thanks,

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Taewoo,

My understanding is that a negative keyword will prevent a Search Query from showing your ad if its positive form would be matched by that Search Query. Look at this table:

Positive Keyword

Search Query (SQ)

"wind power"

wind power companies in CA

stock

rv

rv solar panels installation

Now we should investigate whether or not the above positive keywords (1 phrase and 2 broads) will be matched by the SQs. (In case they are, their negatives will prevent the ad from displaying for the SQ.)

As for the phrase match in 1., your ads *may show* on searches like the SQ  because the SQ includes the exact phrase you've specified. Hence the ad *can appear* for the SQ.  Please notice, however, that Google consequently uses expressions like *may show* or *can appear*. When they are more precise they say that the ad *may show* for *relevant searches* that include.... etc.

When Google use phrases like the above ones it’s never meant to be a promise, it’s a possible option. Whenever they say *your ad may show* it’s real meaning is that EITHER your ad *may show* OR *may not show*.

All these arguments translate to a situation where whether or not the positive keywords in the above table will be matched by the SQs depends on the relevance factor between the keywords and the Search Queries which in turn boils down to historical click-thru stats. Now the real issue with your SQs is that they are long tail terms for which Google has not accrued a sufficient amount of historical click-through stats. Hence relevance remains uncertain and so does the effect of your negative keywords on the SQs. The same logic applies to your negavite broad match keywords too.

Finally I’d note that the logic you apply is absolutely correct in 99% of cases. When you find frustrating and/or weird exceptions to the rule that’s because the SQs are long tail terms, with little or no historical stats to rely on.  

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Since I am not on the level of Lakatos, I tend to take the simpler approach that Neha outlines. Make sure you add these negative broad/phrase terms to the campaign level, and make sure you are viewing a date range after you added those campaign level negatives.

Also, if you have multiple broad/phrase match keyword campaigns, make sure you add the campaign negatives to all of the campaigns. Keyword poaching is always a possibility, especially (as Lakatos points out) if the historical data of a like broad term in another campaign is "better" (higher QS, higher impression volume, etc.), than the "correct" broad term that you want an ad to show for, in the correct campaign. When the underlying search term does not match exactly to any keyword, the algorithim has to decide which keyword is most "relavent" to the search query, and it uses the historical data to help make that decision. Often, the algorithim is wrong, but hey, it's just a computer program. Smiley Happy The more rules you set, the more likely the algorithim is going to making the right decision.

Tom