AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why can I see my ad that should only be targeting Australia?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

My client has a search campaign running in Australia. It is only search, no RLSA.

However, if I search the keywords in Google on my computer (I am in the US) I can view the ads.

Is this because Google knows that I am the creator (i.e. logged into Google with the MCC account)?

I am worried that if I can see these ads, other Americans (or others) can see them as well, when it really should only be shown in Australia.

Thanks in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why can I see my ad that should only be targeting Australia?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
What are your advanced geo settings?

They should be set to People in my target location....

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sachin,

Steve is correct. It likely has to do with your settings being set to "people in OR searching for my location". You should change it to "people in my location". If you used google.au or included a location in your search, and your settings are set to include people "searching in or for" you could see your ad. Here's more information: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453995?rd=1

If you weren't using Google.au and you didn't include a location in your search, then that is probably not the issue. In that case, I would double check that the geo-targeting is correct in your campaigns. Also check and make sure your browser is correctly interpreting your location. You can update the preferences if it mistakenly interprets you as being somewhere other than where you are.

Google does not show ads to you just because you are the account creator. Typically you would have to update your geography settings (or preferably use the ad preview tool) to see your ad if you are not within your campaign's geo-targets.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Amy,

Thanks for the reply!
I believe the issue was that I had a "Search Network only - Standard" campaign set-up, which does not have Advanced Location Options.

I switched to "Search Network only - All Features" and then changed the Advanced Location settings. Should be all set now.

Another question- Do you know if switching the campaign from "Search Network only - Standard" to "Search Network only - All Features" has any adverse effects on the campaign?

Obviously, this change allows me to have any more options and features for my campaign, but I am wondering if there are any consequences or adverse effects in switching. For instance, loss of reporting info or something.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Sachin, the only effect the change has is to make more features available within the Campaign, it has no influence on actual performance.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sachin,

You shouldn't have any adverse affects for switching to all features. I wouldn't switch from all features to a sub-type during a campaign because the additional features could be positively affecting performance and then you could lose them. I don't think you should've lost any data, though.

Best,
Amy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Jon!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Amy!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Glad to help!