2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why bounce rate for GDN so high?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I run DSA with good 30% compare to conversion rate but when I try GDN I get very high bounce rate (98%) with no conversion at all. Seems that we use same targeting audience. Why click an ad and leave it, compare to key ord search ads? Any tips how to optimise GDN campaigns?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

A couple of thoughts for you.

People who click on search ads were searching for something, so CTR and conversion rate are always higher than Display, where the best you can do is find an audience that might be interested, but weren't actively searching for your product or service.

Consequently, display tends to have cheaper clicks.

You need to be looking at cost per conversion, rather than relative conversion rates.

Regarding bounce rates, keep in mind that a bounce in Google Analytics means they didn't visit more than one page. They may have stayed on the landing page for 5 minutes, but unless they explore your site further it is defined as a bounce.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Rob, but the question was why GDN (banners) bounce when keyword search bounce much less? Believe it's users behaviour matters.  When I need a product and I search google by keyword I intended to buy but what happens when I just see a banner and have no intention, just curiosity works here or some mysterious click farms involved?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Nerijus C, You can run the placement performance report in Google Analytics, and you should remove the placements which have 100% bounce rate and the placements that are irrelevant. 

If your ads are appearing on mobile apps you should remove them to improve the bounce rate. Generally, the CTR and bounce rate are high on those Mobile in-apps.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

If you are concerned about click farms, look in the placement report for sites that have a high CTR (above 20%) and more than 2 clicks. Check out the sites and if they look like blogs nobody would ever visit, exclude them.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot. Any idea how to solve bounce rate if using Java Sript on first page? Lots today pages use Java so everyone has same problem? 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Nerijus C, It's interesting you ask this because I just started digging into the bounce rate of my site. There are a couple reasons why your bounce rate might be so high that I'll get to. When I began using the GDN my landing page had a bounce rate of about 96% and an avg session duration of about 20 seconds (I have NO idea how it was still converting!), but now I'm consistently at about 31-32% with avg session duration around 3 minutes and 20 seconds or so. And if you want a high QS for low CPCs then it would be wise spending some time to get these values improved.

I assume you are using Google Analytics to get your data? It should be noted that bounce rate and avg user session WILL be higher on GDN due to user intent being fundamentally different from searches. There were 2 main corrections I made to improve my bounce rate.

1) Opt out of mobile. Sure, you can opt out of mobile apps, but you might also want to consider opting out of mobile all-together, as this can improve your bounce rate and maybe your QS. Be aware that traffic might drop as well, possibly drastically. But if you think about how you browse on your phone, it might reveal why users bounce so fast.

2) Improve ad copy. I was driving traffic to an educational and informative video. I soon crafted an ad that was something along the lines of... "Watch this video to..." in order to inform the user that they'd be taken to a landing page including a video. This REALLY improved my landing page stats. However, the clearer your ad copy is in relation to your landing page, probably the lower the CTR will be. But if your goal is conversions and you're getting more targeted clicks, that shouldn't really matter.

Just to conclude, it is possible to get a decent bounce rate and avg session duration using the GDN, just make sure your landing page and ad match REALLY well... and consider opting out of mobile.

Hope that helped!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Nerijus C,

My agency has done some extensive tests with Site category Exclusion options... which we found change bounce rates greatly. 

If you click on the Display Network tab, then click on Placements, then click go to the bottom of the page, you will see Site Category options. 

We exclude for all accounts:

Parked Domains

In-game

Error Pages

We will then exclude some the topics, depending on the type of business we are advertising for. Juvenile, gross, and bizarre is one that brought a higher level of bounce in a lot of cases... next down the list was Death & tragedy... and next down was Military and International Conflict. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, I was hoping you would be able to elaborate further on how you are able to remove them from showing up on mobile apps? 
Thank you!
Jade 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Jade Y I believe you just add a placement exclusion for adsenseformobileapps.com