AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why am i getting less impressions on my display ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just finishes runnind a display af campaign. I notice

i am getting less imoressions and subsequently less clicks on my ads. What should i do and why?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why am i getting less impressions on my display ads?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Nuel,

There are few things you need to check for successful campaign. First determine why you are not getting impression? Check your QS, CPC and Location.

It's obvious that Low QS affect your ad rank which cause less impression. This is the common answer i can give right now. If you provide more details then we can try to give you best solution.

My 2 cents!

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
On the display network there are limited spaces for display ads to show on each website. With that being the case the Ads with the higher bids, and more relevancy are the ones more likely to be shown.

But with any display advertisement there will be ebbs and flows of visitors to websites.

What is your targeting method for display? Are you doing placement ads or targeting with certain parameters?

Try increasing the Bid slightly to see if you get more Display network impressions. Usually it's the competition for limited space and others are bidding a bit higher.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Try to do this to improve the impressions and clicks.

Check the quality score of each keyword. If the quality score of the keywords is low find out what that is making the quality score low for that keyword or ad, whether it is Expected CTR, Ad Relevance or Landing page experience. Work on those to improve the QS.
If you are having the Expected ctr less than average or average then try to increase the bidding and you can also improve the ctr by targeting on better placements and interests.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks and Regards.
John Paul.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi;

Two points to remember;

1. Google does not disclose the QS of the display network. (Though it does exist)

2. You should have all  sizes of banner ads, to make sure that if you win a slot (on a given web page) you a banner in the correct dimensions  that would fit the slot.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Nuel!

MosheTLV is right as when anyone thinkthat he is not getting clicks then CTR comes but in Display CTR (actually QS) counted in a diffent way. However there are other more factors that really matters. You must be aware with all these while going to implement Display campaign.

Frequency Capping: This is at Campaign level to give a limitation of Ad impression to perticular user. And this is really necessary because there is no benefit to shopw your Ad to same user again and again even this hurts to your brand reputation and decrease CTR.

Targetting Method: Only Keyword (Contexual Targetting) is not enough as In an Adgroup exact keywords never trigger Ad. Adwords system create theme of keywords and that theme match Publisher page to display Ad. However you can add more targetting method and combination of those targets can be helpful to narrow target your right audience (Bid only or Target & Bid only method).

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Nuel E,

As has already been mentioned, take a look at your ads (ensure you have all sizes and include a text ad for broader reach), ensure you don't have too many targets set up and ensure your bidding strategy is competitive. 

Thanks!