AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why am I seeing search terms containing areas I am not diplaying Ads to?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a geographical targeted campaign where the ads should only be showing for London and Kent. When I look in the Search Terms report I can see I am getting impressions and clicks for search phrases that include town names that are miles away such as "my phrase Torquay" and "my phrase wales" . Why is this? At the moment I am adding these places as negative keywords, but that's hardly a robust approach.

Is there anything I can do about this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi David,

In advanced location settings you should be able to narrow down how the location targeting works.

In your case if you're only wanting to show to people searching for 'your phrase London' or 'your phrase Kent' I'd recommend setting this option to 'People searching for or who show interest in my targeted location'.

Pretty much at the minute AdWords is targeting anyone who's searching for keywords that are in relation to London or Kent or anyone who is actually in London or Kent. This is all fine, but people who are in London and Kent could be making searches for locations outside of your radius, which is what is happening here.

Hope this helps,

Why am I seeing search terms containing areas I am not displaying Ads to?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for replying. I had already checked in there and that is my setting.

There doesn't appear to be any good reason for people to be sitting in Kent and search for a service in Wales, not with any volume anyhow.

All I can think is Google is wrong when it comes to location. If they have a mobile then its accurate, but if not perhaps its only seeing the location of the searchers ISP? - which would often be across the other side of the country?

Whole thing seems a bit flawed and its costing me money. My CPC is over £5 so these spurious clicks which are happening daily are painful.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David R
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi David R,

Yes, for desktop and laptops, the IP address is used as one of the signals for location. That IP address belongs to the ISP. Your conclusion is correct. They will also use other signals, but the IP address is the main one. Your approach, although extra work, could mitigate the problem. Check your search terms often, add negative keywords when appropriate and necessary.

Does your ad copy make it clear your services are offered in Kent and London only? If not, you might want to do that to reduce the number of clicks from people looking for the service outside your service area. As always, test the new copy and compare results to the old copy at the same time to eliminate variables outside your control.

When you have done this, use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis page to make sure it's working the way you want. You can set your location to inside or outside your service area to get the full picture.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Google relies on 3rd-party data for IP address and location information. I've read that the accuracy is around 85%.

I have seen what you are describing numerous times, where there are disproportionate searches for places that aren't in the set location.  The solution is to add these place names as negative keywords, as Pete has mentioned.