3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why High competition but low search volume?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi.. 

I raised a question myself while working for keyword analysis in Google Keyword planner tool.

For some of the keywords it shows, high competition but search volume would be very low even at time it could be 90 or so.

How a low search volume keyword would come in the high competition? or how a high competitive keyword has low search volume?

Thanks in advance
4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why High competition but low search volume?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Iswarya,

Low search volume = very little search traffic on Google or less number of people searches with those keywords ( the keyword might be too specific)

Competition = The number of advertisers worldwide bidding on each keyword.

So there can be many keywords that is too specific and a very low number of searches happens on Google (low search volume) but those searches are very valuable to many advertisers that all are bidding on those terms (high competition).

Hope my explanation makes sense

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Iswarya,

You have to bear in mind that the tool isn't too accurate and should be used as more of an estimate. Nonetheless to answer your questions, you can imagine the search term "buy lamborghini" won't be used too much due to the expense of the product but there will still be a fair amount of competition amongst all the car dealers out there.
ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Iswaraya,

There is no way that a low search volume keyword should not have a high competition. The people searching for that keyword may be low or targeted niche/method might be low so there are chances that it has low search volume, but the advertisers who are bidding for that keyword are high because of any reason like it brings them high profits or etc so, it has those are high competitive keywords.

Thanks and Regards
John Paul

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Iswarya,

Deepak & Scotty have given you perfect answers.. I agree with them..
A low search volume keyword does not mean it cannot have advertisers fighting for that auction.

Also, as Scotty said, use the keyword planner as a guide for trends.. dont use it for absolute numbers...
Cheers,
Shweta

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Logically, the keywords with high search volume should expect high competition. May be these low volume keywords are triggering conversions (sales, of course) for some of the advertisers bidding on them. I would suggest you to run a test campaign (if its possible then only) then it will help you in deciding the further course of action. I hope my answer will help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Deepak.

It is helpful.

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.
Experts in the Topic
Deepak_V
ScottyD
ShroffS
Buzzb