AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Why AdWords does not allow exclusion of URL extensions for Display ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have launched a new campaign for branding and I have chosen a broad targeting , gender segments + age segments, because the location targeting is restricted to a rather small area. I have applied some common sense exclusions , even keywords exclusions , but....

During the first day, guess from where most clicks arrived ?

1) some domains with the URL extension .pw  and a display CTR of 2.6 %

2) some domains with the word "games" in their URL and a display CTR of 1%

Why does google still not allow us to exclude strings from the domain URL when running Display Ads ?

At this point I want to exclude *.pw as the domain extension , because I want traffic only from .ro domains and I want to exclude any domain URL which has "games" in them .

Such an URL exclusion option would be so easy to do at the programmatic level, it only leads me to believe that google intentionally avoids to allow us Placement URL exclusions to take our money for useless traffic from Display.

From all those new features added to AdWords, this is not yet an option ? Unbelievable

Did I miss any AdWords update which takes care of this problem ?

crap-display-traffic.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why AdWords does not allow exclusion of URL extensions for Display

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Where is PW? (Never heard of this country...)

So, basically  you are targeting people physically in Romania,   you find that they show ads on sites with TLD PW? (What kind of sites are those - can you exclude by category?)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

.pw domains belong to the country of Palau

I am targeting a city in Romania, only the romanian language.

The website 34stiri.pw contains copied news from reputed sources it is in romanian language but it is obviously made to gain money from AdSense from automated content.They have a big banner space on the left of the screen and rectangular banners on the bottom of articles.

I bet they also use some automated click systems as the CTR rate is 10 times higher than I would expect from a natural behaviour for Display.

I also bet if I only exclude the placement 34stiri.pw , tomorrow I will see traffic from other similar domains , I have already found a similar domain 24stiri.pw to exclude.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I cannot exclude the Topic "news " because there are a lot of good .ro placements with high traffic and original news content . But the good websites .ro with news never have a 2.6 % Display CTR.

AdSense Spammers do not buy .ro domains because they are too expensive (50 dollars) compared to renting shady domains such as .pw with 1 dollar per year.

I think I will set an automated rule to "Pause a placement" if "yesterday" it has over 1% CTR and over 100 impressions, but this only solves part of the problem , and the damage is done, these placements can still use up to 50% of my campaign budget through spam display clicks which google does not detect.

An option to exclude "games" from the placement URL or " *.pw " from the placement extension would be much more useful.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I see your point.
I don't know of any other solution than exclude "placemnets".
And if you suspect these sites use automated tools to click - I would file a complaint with Adsense.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I honestly don't have the time to file complaints every day about every 10 websites in every client account which runs display campaigns Smiley Happy

If AdWords would have a button in the interface to flag a website for "suspicious clicks" I would use it for 5 minutes per day , but that's the most effort I would invest into reporting the infinity of these websites.

Why AdWords developers can offer a feature in DSA campaign to exclude URLs based on "Contains rule" and they don't offer a similar feature for Display Placement URL exclusions ?

In the DSA campaign I can go to "Exclusions >> URL contains ..... " and exclude any part of my website URL, which would also work for the URL extension.

dsa-exclusions-URL-contains.png

I bet this spam traffic brings Google a large share of the Display network money so they will never add such a feature to exclude "Placement URL contains .... "

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Just for your information, no need to reply : here are some other strange domain URL extensions which have started to show up under my client's placement reports , targeting Romania +romanian language for Display :

bab.la
trending.report
gamefirst.me
viralcomments.co
smsgratis.ws

Also there is an invasion of clicks from domains containing the word "viral" , same domain name different cheap to rent domain URL extensions , such as :

videoviralup.biz

videoviralup.info

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Some of the most weird clicks I received these days are from .gq domains like this page , hopefully you can do something about it at google .

hot66.gq/egy-egyetemista-fiu-6452

This was from a display campaign using Topics = Health in Romanian language and the page is x-rated content in english...

According to this page such domains are free to get :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.gq

.gq is the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Equatorial Guinea. Freenom relaunched the TLD on October 1, 2014, and domains became available for free on January 1, 2015.[1][2]

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

One more weird TLD from which I received a click , which has nothing to do with my Display targeting in Romanian language only : shared.W T F

This website doesn't even allow viewing content unless giving a FB Like in a pop up window.

If it bothers you that I keep updating this thread with such cases, let me know to stop posting.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't think anyone can look at their automatic placements and not want to pull their hair out. It's thievery. We need the ability to remove TLD's.