Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Who decides the Topics asigned to a site

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I was wondering who decides the Topics asigned to a website / placement from the Display network.

Is it an automated procedure from Google or is the Publisher who decides this type of information , which means that a game site owner can decide that their site has the Topic - e-commerce for example .

Also if there are sub-sections of a site, having different "real topics" , they are classified under the same "Adwords topic" as the main site ? So if the main site is "news" and a section is "free jobs Ads" and I target the "AdWords topic News" I can also get impressions from the subsection "free jobs ads" ?

From a programming point of view, the root URL has a Topic and the child URLs from level 2 , 3 or 4 can have very different sub-topics which I do not want to cover but I cannot exclude a child URL of level 4 .

Excluding an URL such as www.site.com/directory1/directory2/directory3/directory4 is just not accepted by the "exclude placements" feature.

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Who decides the Topics asigned to a site

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The last time I checked - once a site is approved to join an the Adsense program it is categorized. To my understanding machine does that, based on the site's content. (Contextual targeting)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The last time I checked - once a site is approved to join an the Adsense program it is categorized. To my understanding machine does that, based on the site's content. (Contextual targeting)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, thanks. I was trying to figure out why I am getting clicks from a newspaper site when I am targeting some car related topics. The display planner shows me some weird combinations of Topics per sites.

See the following newspaper site which has Topics : Food and Drink ( unrelated)  , BMW (even more unrelated to the content of the site )  and Ukraine ( good Topic only for a small segment of articles, since there are many news about Ukraine these days) .

gandul.info.png