5.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Who Cares About QS and CTR?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I just heard someone who has supposedly had success with AdWords claim that he doesn't even care about QS and CTR...and neither should I.

Does this make any sense to anyone?  Aren't we supposed to be sweating and toiling every day to improve those two numbers?  Smiley Wink

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Who Cares About QS and CTR?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have heard the same thing come from many in the paid search community. I think this statement is a result of the extensive amount of metrics that a paid search marketer faces each and every day and that they just don't have the time to focus on these 2 very important metrics. One can derive success without focusing on QS or CTR but 'success' is a subjective term. You will be more successful if you do set time aside to improve your CTR and QS, so I recommend NOT to follow that someone's claim.

Best of luck!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

There are some exceptions where QS and CTR might not matter :

1. Niche sites, where that website is the only advertiser in adwords or has virtual no competition, therefore he is getting almost all the clicks.

2. CPM campaigns , where he only wants branding not clicks

Anyway , you can find hundreds of concerned forum users , who discuss QS and CTR , just by doing a search

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=ctr+qs

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Simply put - in some cases, ROI is the determining factor - if a client or advertiser is making money, and that is their goal, the CTR and QS are potentially not all that important. Also, not every aspect of a campaign is within your control - history is a factor.  

I can also see this argument as valid when looking at very highly competitive yet generic/broad themed campaigns.

For instance, if you look at something extremely popular that has been advertised over and over again by tons of advertisers (poorly), often those keywords are very rarely going to see very good numbers in these areas.  If you were to bid on: programmer, developer, IT support etc...such broad terms have been beat to death by advertisers and IMO, are extremely difficult to optimize for QS and CTR.

My couple cents...

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you!  You actually hit the nail on the head.

You mention a generic keyword that describes our industry -- how did you know?  ; )

But if QS won't really improve, how do you improve ad rank -- just pay tons of money for these keywords?  I'm coming to accept that that's what the companies in the top positions are doing...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

To what end?  Let's say you end up with a Campaign with a 10/10 Keyword QS and a 100% CTR, does that mean you've got the perfect AdWords Campaign?

"Aren't we supposed to be sweating and toiling every day to improve those two numbers?"

No, where did you read that?  Your objective for any advertising Campaign, not just Adwords, is the achievement of an objective.  Yes, QS and CTR are important, but they can't be taken out as individual metrics that indicate success.  A CTR of 20% is meaningless on its own and a Quality Score of 10/10 does not guarantee results.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

"To what end?  Let's say you end up with a Campaign with a 10/10 Keyword QS and a 100% CTR, does that mean you've got the perfect AdWords Campaign?"

I agree, understood.  But I was curious as to why this guy put zero importance on two factors (and I know these are not the only factors that count) that supposedly carry so much weight in helping to improve AdRank so you get better positioning so you have a better shot at getting eyes on your ad so you, hopefully, get the clicks and business you want.

Better position is a goal so your ads have a shot a being effective at meeting your goals for you, isn't it?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

wrote:

Thank you!  You actually hit the nail on the head.

You mention a generic keyword that describes our industry -- how did you know?  ; )

But if QS won't really improve, how do you improve ad rank -- just pay tons of money for these keywords?  I'm coming to accept that that's what the companies in the top positions are doing...

HAHA - Not a guess - just based on experience - The best route here is to first understand and communicate to the client the limitations on your keyword sets and then start eliminating the generic terms by bidding on more long tail keywords that will give you better results (Search Query Reports are your friend). Then, what you'll find is that your activity volume will drop and hopefully your impression shares and CTR's will rise.  QS will probably not move or very little...it's a give and take situation.  Bidding up only gets you so far and many times, that's not an option when looking at ROI/ROAS.  It's a time consuming and challenging proposition to take on accounts like these.  You need to be meticulous in you optimization efforts and look well beyond your impressions, clicks and conversions to discover ways in which you can make AdWords work for you/your client.

Good Luck!!!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That's what I was going to do: phase out the generics once I felt like I had a decent representation of long-tail KW.  They're tricky; lots of low search volume terms.

Well, nothing like a good challenge to make you a master!

Thanks again!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Sorry, who is "this guy"?  Let's not debate something we haven't read first hand.

"Better position is a goal so your ads have a shot a being effective at meeting your goals for you, isn't it?"

Maybe, maybe not.  We know that a high position tends to increase CTR but it also tends to increase CPC.  When your CPC approaches a reasonable percentage of your Net profit, your precise position can become very important and there are easy examples where not being #1 in Ad Rank is more profitable than being #1.

In virtually everything AdWords, there are no definites.  What works for one person won't work for another, what is a good Account structure for one makes no sense for another.  It's quite possible that in the referenced case CTR and QS are not that important - it can happen - so what's important is only your own performance.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits