Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Which keyword match best for conversion exact , phrase or broad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI all,

Which keyword match best for conversion exact , phrase or broad ....?

Looking your response..

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Which keyword match best for conversion exact , phrase or broad

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ganesh, welcome to the Community.

There's really no "best" match for conversions, it all depends upon your business, your market and your overall Account settings.  The only general advice I can give is that you're more likely to get conversions when your clicks are from people who are searching for exactly what you're selling.  It's therefore generally the case that more exact match types generate better conversions, but you have to test by your own experience.

I would say that there's rarely a good case for using "simple" broad matches any more, I'd use no less than a modified Broad match for wide focus.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ganesh,

Jon is absolutely right in saying you have to test the best conversion keyword match type by experimenting. Still from my experience you can divide three match type for their value as follows:

1) Exact match :

a)Conversion : Best
b)Competition :High
c) Keyword Research(finding new keywords) : Not possible

2) Phrase match :

a)Conversion : Good
b)Competition :High-Medium
c) Keyword Research(finding new keywords) : Good possibilities

3) Broad match :

a)Conversion : Average
b)Competition :Medium-Low
c) Keyword Research(finding new keywords) : Best possibilities

Above is only a generic idea, it depends on industry you are campaigning for. In some industries competition is almost very high for all types and in some cases best ROI is derived from broad match types only.
This being said if your budget allows you its always best to go for exact keywords and work should be done to improve QS and bring overall cost down. This is easier said than done as it will good period of time to achieve that from my experience.

Hope this helps!

Ujjwal

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

A little addition regarding this "I would say that there's rarely a good case for using "simple" broad matches any more,"

I have a handful of top converting keyword of 2-3 words in broad match , but I mined over 140 negative keywords in a month for achieving this from the search terms and the targeted location is quite a small one with 2 milion inhabitants, so broad match rarely gets over 80 impressions per day.

If you look in the keyword planner and the broad match has a low traffic ( under 500-1000 imps ) due to location or language restrictions, chances are you can use the broad match with success for conversions, don't run away from them in low traffic situations.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ganesh P
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Ganesh P, you might find that a better way to segregate good conversion keywords is on the basis of whether they're more specific or generic terms. Exact matches on generic terms don't necessarily convert any better than phrase or broad matches on the same - in fact, in some cases broad matches on a generic term may convert even better because they at least allow ads to show on the more specific queries.

Simple example: [cheap pyjamas] might not convert at all, whereas +cheap +pyjamas might because it also shows ads for the term 'cheap girls pyjamas with hello kitty print'. On the flip side, +cheap +pyjamas could also show your ads when people search 'why should you not buy cheap pyjamas', which obviously isn't a good keyword for conversions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi All,

Thanks for your valuable suggestion.......

Now want to know about Keywords insertion, how it is beneficial for campaign ..?