Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Which is the Right Campaign Structure?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Guys,

I would like to hear your thoughts on the right Campaign Structure in Google AdWords and Keyword Match Types.

An AdWords account has 100 exact keywords and these 100 keywords are having very less impressions, let’s say less than 10 impressions per month and the  impressions count is consistent month on month. Another AdWords account have only 5 Broad Match Keywords and these 5 Broad Keywords are eligible to show the ads for those 100 Exact Match keywords from first AdWords account.

In this case, should I have a 100 Exact keywords in account one or 5 Broad keywords in account two. Please assume that account two has proper negative keywords to avoid unwanted traffic.

Which keywords set will be having better ad rank?

Thanks,

Karim SK.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Well... the same campaign, with the same settings, same bids, the same accurate copies for these keywords ... the quality for these keywords would be better if these are exact match keywords.

I'm not saying this is the best strategy but the quality for these keywords would be better.

The optimization of the campaign would be harder, and you would be losing the chance for new keywords.

I prefer to mix different match types with different bids to be aware of how the customers are changing their search habits.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply. But these all Exact keywords are marked by Google as Low Search Volume Keywords and I believe they are not serving ads for all the time.

For Example, These Exact keywords used to get more impressions when they are triggering for Broad Keywords and when I have added these terms as Exact keywords (negated for Broad Match Keywords), I have observed significant drop in impressions for these keywords hence most of them are marked as Low Search Volume keywords.

Hope I am clear.

Thanks,

Karim SK.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @karimulla S,

Firstly you mentioned above that campaigns has proper negative keywords to avoid unwanted traffic. But do you have exact match keywords added as negative in your broad match campaign? If you are doing this, very good & if not I would advise you to add these negatives to avoid conflicting. 

Second, I would rather test broad match modifier keywords rather than broad keywords of all keyword variations. So I will make campaign and will add bmm and exact keywords. I would keep little higher bids for exact keywords as they are highly relevant.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Neha,

I have added both "Proper negatives" to avoid unwanted traffic and these Exact keywords to Broad Campaign to avoid triggering issues. My concern is I am not getting those potential impressions with Exact match keywords after adding them in Exact Match Type. Even if we keep higher bids for Exact keywords, there is a possibility of triggering issues with Exact and BMM keywords.

What is the best way to get mu impressions back without getting any triggering issues?

Thanks,

Karim SK.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

As you mentioned earlier above that keywords are showing status " low search volume". Low search volume keywords are searched rarely. 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2616014?hl=en

I would advice here to look for variations of new keywords with the help of Keyword planner and search query. you can pick good new keywords from search query and can add them as exact match. Search queries which are relevant and receiving good traffic.

Did you looked at Impression share metrics of these keywords?

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Which is the Right Campaign Structure?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Hi @karimulla S,

Let me highlight the statement-

An AdWords account has 100 exact keywords and these 100 keywords are having very less impressions, let’s say less than 10 impressions per month and the  impressions count is consistent month on month. Another AdWords account have only 5 Broad Match Keywords and these 5 Broad Keywords are eligible to show the ads for those 100 Exact Match keywords from first AdWords account.

If you will use 2 AdWords account to advertise the same business with same keywords and same geographic targeting, it will be a policy violation "gaining unfair advantage".

The best strategy is creating separate ad group for different keywords match types.

If exact match are status as LSV by the AdWords then try them as Phrase match and as suggested by @Neha Gupta, try BMM.

Also, note that the system will consider the keyword with best QS(most relevant) and your bids to further get participated into the real time auction. So, it does not matter whether the BMM or any other keyword match type triggers the ad, the ultimate goal is ROI.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Hopefully you are not running two accounts for the same business - I think we all assumed that you meant to say two campaigns(?).

You have just highlighted one of the many problems you run into when building out a huge account structure without basing your structure on any actual data or results. If the exact terms don't generate any impressions due to search volume, then your exact campaign is too restrictive, and focusing on terms of no actual value. You are casting a much broader net with your broad campaign. Which, allows you to find more effective, higher volume search queries that match closely enough to your broad terms to actually show an ad.

Your broad campaign can be optimized, but if no one is searching for the exact terms in your exact campaign, you can't change that. Keep mining the search terms report for your broad campaign, and find the underlying exact match queries that actually have some search volume and value.

Tom