AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Which bid applies when both keywords and placements are used in GDN?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Recently AdWords UI has changed display network's view: the different "dimensions" - keywords, placements etc - receive a separate sub-tab each.

In this new arrangement CPC bids can be set in the keyword level, and also each keyword's metrics are displayed.

So the question arises: Which bid applies when both keywords and placements are used in GDN?

There's a help topic about this: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=112454

But it doesn't answer the question - what comes first - the keyword or the placement? i.e. what happens when the keyword-level's bid is higher than the placement's bid?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re:Where your ad can appear on the Display Network depending on your targeting methods

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello kalabi-yau and welcome;

You are asking on one of the mosy intriguing topics on the GDN: The interaction between placements and keywords in "broad match (=Show ads on pages that match my primary targeting method) OR Specific reach: (=Show ads only on pages that match all my targeting methods)

Before we "dive" into the bidding, first we need to figure, where the ad is shown on GDN , if you target by placements, keywords or both.

This table summarizes all  poosible combinations.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Re:Where your ad can appear on the Display Network depending on your targeting methods

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe,

I run on Specific reach / Keywords + Placements.

What happens if my keyword-level bid is, say $1.5 while my placement-level bid is $1? Which bid will count?

I suspect that Google will "conveniently choose" the higher bid, and won't act consistently regarding the dimension of the bid.

Normally I'd expect that the placement-level bid will count, i.e. the bid should be $1.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re:Keyword bidding on GDN

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

kalabi-yau

I did not quite understand your bid setting. Anyway, the more specific bid ( NOT, necessarily the highest) holds!.

e.g: If you set a bid for GDN, and later set a bid (on the new  GDN tab) for a specific keyword, - the keyword bid will be the one used for the auction.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Re:Keyword bidding on GDN

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The problem is that "keywords", "placements", "topics" and "audiences" are all dimensions on the same level, all below the ad group level.

In other words, when I set a bid for a specific placement and a different bid for a specific keyword - on the same ad group - it isn't clear which bid holds: the keyword's bid or the placement's bid? They are both as "specific".

The hierarchy isn't clear in this case.

My campaign is set to run on Networks: Display- Specific reach

Bidding: focus on clicks - manually

Re: Keyword bidding on GDN - Bidding for specific KW

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

kalabi-yau;

Bids, both on GDN and on search are by keywords!

On GDN, untill recently, you couldn't bid on a specific KW. All KWs worked collectively, as a theme: each had the same contribution as the others, in finding the right place for your ad. (This mechanism is known as contextual targeting).

Recently, you can bid on GDN for specific keywords, giving some KWs higher weight in the "contextual targeting formula", by bidding higher on those (specific) KWs. However, bidding is still by Keyword(s) !

-Moshe