AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Which Google AdWords features brought success to your business?

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager
Hi AdWords users, 

All of you have used different AdWords features in your AdWords accounts. Some features might have worked better for your business while some features may not have. We'd like to hear which are those AdWords features that helped your business and brought you success. 
How did you use these features? Please share it with other AdWords users and help them succeed too. 
For eg: We'd like to hear something like: 
"I run a retail business. I used sitelinks to gain additional space in the ad and showed more links from my website. This increased my CTR by x% " etc
Go for it.
Sharing is caring,
Mini
3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Which Google AdWords features brought success to your business?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Mini.

Sharing is ... many things Smiley Happy.

1) Understanding that AdWords is neither easy nor plain, and that without serious work, study, attention to details, one cannot be (too) successful. Managing successful AdWords accounts is a job in itself (be it part-time), a profession. It may be the second or the third job, but it is not, by any means, something you can do on and off, whenever you feel you have some time to spare, and postponing it whenever you have other, more important things to do. Translation: if you want results, prepare for hard, intelligent and, above all, constant work.

2) Linking Analytics and AdWords and looking beyond the conversion data presented in the AdWords interface.

3) The Analytics API. Being able to pull whatever dimensions and metrics I'm interested in, linking them with offline data (I'm an E-Commerce addict), and working with them either in Excel or on a database server, crunching that data to my liking. Sadly, I did not use the AdWords API yet, but I'm longing for it.

4) Using the Search funnels and later Analytics' Multi-Channel-Funnels and avoiding cuts in assisting keywords or ads, which, when looked at in the regular interface, may appear as non-profitable.

5) Sitelinks. Having the ads stand out made a huge difference. How much exactly I don't know, I never measured, but I remember that every single time I looked the performance was much better with sitelinks. To the extent that now no new

campaign gets launched without sitelinks and sometimes product extensions.

6) Realizing that many of the shortcuts (DKI, blind automation, etc.) are in fact "detours, disguised as less work", as Seth Godin so eloquently put it. Quick example: a copy paste from one account to another brought me an account review and stopped all ads for a few hours. Had I avoided it, I might have worked 5 more minutes, but the account would have been running undisturbed.

7) Understanding that hard, meticulous work may bring you high ROI but sometimes a low revenue, that high-scale automation can bring you high revenue but lower ROI, and that a balanced combination of manual work and automation (semi-automation) is also possible and that in such cases you can attain both high ROI and high revenue.

8) Putting an end date to the campaigns I'm testing, and thus making sure they're not running indefinitely and maybe past the point when I should have reviewed them (I wrongfully rely on memory most of the times, and do not keep a good record of what I'm testing. Most of the times I get it right, but in order to cover for all the situations, having an e-mail tell you that campaigns are about to end, and then that they ended, can be a replacement for a calendar).

9) Going long-tail. Placing ads for as many of the potentially profitable products in an E-Commerce shop, even if they are not high-traffic ads. Individually, they do not show very often, and the revenue is not spectacular. As a whole, though, they really do perform great. Having particular ads, specifically related to that product, not some awkward DKI insertion, and landing people precisely on that product's page, really made the difference.

10) Learning from both my experience and also from your (fellow forum members) experience.

Mini, I wish I could list some magic bullets, in the format you've suggested, but unfortunately I cannot Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Mini,

Awesome reply by Calin Smiley Happy

As an advertiser, I have been managing different segment of clients dealing in dealing businesses. From my experience, I could summarize the following points:-

1. I have been using Enhanced CPC for most of my Client Adwords accounts. This advanced methodology has been really fruitful for majority of the accounts. No doubt, when I implemented this feature in the beginning, it increased the Avg. CPC all of a sudden, but later I realized that it was a part of this tool how it actually works and then settles down. After gathering good amount of data, I was able to identify that the Conversion increased with good ad position for various Adwords accounts. Of course in order to enjoy Enhanced CPC, advertisers have to have Conversion Tracking enabled and correctly installed on the goal completion pages.

2. Call Extensions is another great feature which I really enjoyed for various accounts. I truely recommend using this feature especially for businesses which are into consulting services and all. And on top, using Google Call Forwarding facility is another great way of measuring offline conversions i.e. phone calls. Best part is that all the phone calls happening through Call forwarding number are tracked by Google and can be reviewed by going into Dimensions Tab and selecting Call Details. I have implemented this for most of my accounts and keep track of the phone calls on weekly and monthly basis to see how is it going. There are some minimum clicks which have to be accrued inside the ad groups before they start getting the phone impressions and Google start showing the Call Forwarding number with the normal text ads.

3. Location Extensions are another Ad Extensions which I use quite frequently especially for the local businesses. It gives a direct edge over a normal text ad (without location extension) and let the user provide with additional info like Directions and phone number. This extension has also acted like a catalyst in terms of offline conversions because if people have not converted online, they tend to visit the store, doctor clinic or immigration lawyer office and then talk with the business guys directly. Here, offline conversion can be measured to some extent which originally came through Adwords in a way that when somebody visit the office, he/she is simply asked for How did you hear about us? If the answer is via an ad on Google, it can be noted down and then related with the Adwords data to identify the real source of Conversion. This gives some sort of relation between the two and can help in taking real business decisions whether to continue with this extension or not.

4. Linking Adwords with Analytics is must. First thing which I do after creating Adwords account is to link it with Analytics. I will not go in more details here as it has already been taken up by Calin above efficiently. All I can say about it is that it gives the real web analysis and open new dimensions to make strategic decisions in terms of website and all.

5. I must talk about Ad Scheduling here. I use this feature 100% in every campaign. There are many reasons for using this. Few includes business hours, any special offers for early mornings or late evenings during the festive seasons etc... By default, ads are served all day and night. Initially I do run the campaigns all times and all days but once I have the enough data to interpret the real meaningful data in terms of Conversions, Clicks etc... I use ad scheduling to make sure that the Budget is getting spend effectively and during the right time when user demand is high. This feature has been keeping me and my client accounts on top so that ROI is attained in an organized manner.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I manage roughly between 300 - 350 campaigns which is a very time consuming effort, thus automation is a very key component (linked with email notifications) and feature that I use.

Appart from that;

1. The newly added Auction Insights tool has come in very handy in regards to measuring a campaign performance versus the competition out there, and if used correctly can also be used as a powerfull sales tool.

2.  Sitelinks Extension is a must have for retail customers and information sites, it give a visual advantage over the competitors while giving our valued visitors direct links to landing pages in interest.  I do however have a theory that you have a increased returning visitor that new visitors on sitelinks.

3. Strangely enough, I used Hour of Day Dimension quite often, especially of campaigns limited by budget and from there make a calculated decision and setup Ad Scheduling.

4. I think it is pretty obvious that everyone should have Analytics linked to their accounts.

In essence there is a lot more, but it is interesting to see the various different priorities people put on extensions.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Mini,

Overall AdWords itself provides a very successful experience for all my clients Smiley Happy

One of my favorite things is the ease in which I can move my client’s ads around on search results pages to deal with competition.  

I have clients who have had great success through Product Listing and Product Extensions by incorporating the Merchant Center with the AdWords account.    

One of the most important things I do here for clients aside from their account management is reporting and analysis of reporting to track clients performance and their return on investment.  With several larger clients I use phone tracking.  This is not Google's call metrics extension (which is great by the way) but instead a third party tracking program.  I code the destination URL's of the ads with certain parameters that cause the phone number designated for the product line to be shown on the site when the adwords ad is clicked.  At the end of the month I can create reports that show how many phone calls a certain product line generated, evaluate the spend associated with that product line and provide my client with a breakdown of the account traffic and the exact cost per lead for each of their product lines.  Being able to know how much each lead costs my client allows me to make very informed decisions when adjusting the adwords account and allows me to provide a much higher ROI for my clients.  I can then decide if I need to modify ad scheduling, change bidding (perhaps through the automate feature or through the ad scheduling bid modifier feature).

Ecommerce tracking through analytics has been very valuable for some of my ecommerce clients.  Being able to go to one source for all the data and see the exact revenue generated by the AdWords account is awesome.  Being able to use one platform to evaluate the revenue alongside the other important metrics and Key Performance Indicators makes reading, understanding and optimizing a snap.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi I've been managing client PPC accounts for almost a year now, and I am still constantly learning new things that I can apply to clients from all industries. The most useful features I have used are: - the Keyword Reasearch Tool - being able to research keywords based on exact, phrase and broad match results has become crucial when it comes to setting up and managing campaigns for clients, particularly if it's a new industry I haven't researched before. Getting an idea of the average CPC is really vital for me when deciding whether the keywords will work with my liens budgets. - Conversions - being able to show clients how many conversions have come from a particular campaign / keyword reassures them about the work you're doing. It also helps you refine keywords, and know what to target for the client, and what wastes money. - Geo-Targeting - this has been a great feature to use on smaller clients that offer local services. Being able to set where adverts show, either by adding places through manual search, or radius targetting, helps manage my clients budgets by bringing traffic to the site that ha a better chanc of converting for them. - Remarketing - Brilliant! Can't tell you how useful I have found this feature! It brings in so many conversions go my clients, that otherwise thy may have missed out on, simply by reminding people of the sites they have visited. Implementing a cap on how many times an ad shows to a person means that you're not going to annoy people by harassing them, and also means you're not going to waste impressions and bring down your CTR. - Goolge Analytics Linking - gre for reporting to clients for one. Also for finding out which campaigns / ad groups / keywords brings in the most revenue for a client, as well as tràffic. - Manual Bid Management - allows more control over costs, which helps stick to, and also reduce budgets where possible. - Sitelink Extentions - Gives people more page options to go to, improves CTR rate massively and therefore conversions. - 'View Through Conversions' - knowing when traffic converts for any product, after being bought to the site fom a paid is great to report back to clients, it improves the conversion rate for campaigns too. All in all, I've found. The Adwords features to be enormously useful, and with new ones coming in all the time, will no doubt continue to do so. Thanks Kate Dohren Account Manager - Webtise Ltd

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

Thank you Calin, Pankaj, Kim, Jasper and Kate for sharing your success and happiness with various AdWords features. Nice to see many small features also helping users a lot in their daily AdWords account management.

And, let's welcome the new members Jasper and Kate to our community.

Welcome and thank you Jasper and Kate for showing a great community spirit by sharing awesome experiences on your very first day on this community.

Way to go - we love it. 

Any more users willing to share more experiences and make this community a happy place to visit? 

Waiting, 

Mini

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am new to the forum but have been managing our campaigns for a few years. I have to say that remarketing has been a success for us. Our summer months are generally slow. We have noticed an increase in sales since launching our summer sale campaign using the audiences we have been cultivating for a few months. 

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager

Hi Penny, 

That's great to hear. Can you add a little more detail into what business you run and how exactly you designed your remarketing strategy? Our users would love to learn this from you. 

Thanks, 

Mini

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Absolutely. The company I work for sends out seasonal catalogs through the mail. I designed the creative to match the color and product of the Spring catalog cover. The audience is made up of catalog requesters, people who have viewed the online catalog and also those who have visited the summer sale page of our website. The ad creative that seems to be working the best is 300 x 250. 

It has been an uphill battle trying to convince the marketing manager that PPC is worth it. At one time he wanted to shut Adwords down completely to cut back on expenses. Luckily, that did not happen because I was able to show that Adwords works. Our purchase conversions for May 2012 (includes all campaigns) increased 41% compared to May of 2011. Our website sales have started exceeding our phone sales. I believe that is largely due to Adwords.