AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Where to start for advanced budgeting and bidding rules?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm going to be managing high volume ad group / keyword campaigns (each account may have up to 1 million single keyword ad groups), and I understand that budgeting + bidding rules will be critical to attain business objectives.

What resources do you recommend to get up to speed on advanced budgeting and bidding rules?

I have a degree in Economics and background in Marketing, Sales, Business.

Cheers,

Michal

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Where to start for advanced budgeting and bidding rules?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Michal B

1 million keywords per ad-group? I actually opened the help article to check if this is within the  account limits... Smiley Surprised  (20,000 max keywords per ad-group)

Before you start looking at automated tools to manage this huge  /  "endless" list, I would  optimize it. I am sure that you will find that the   Pareto principle holds:  - 20% of the keywords serve  / bring 80% of the traffic;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I think you mis-read what I wrote Smiley Happy

1 million single-keyword-ad-groups. Basically each ad group has 1 keyword, and the entire account functions as 1 entire campaign, where negatives are properly assigned to make sure that there is no competition between ad groups.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Please elaborate  on the structure of the account, So, you have 1 million ad-groups each with one keyword?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
It's not necessarily 1 million, but I can support that type of structure. Another example would be:

- 2 million exact and BMM keywords in total
- Each keyword is placed in individual ad groups
- Negatives are calculated and assigned to ad groups to create no competition between ad groups.
- Each ad group contains 2 ads for split testing purposes, creating a limit of 4 million ads
- The entire account would be split up into 200 campaigns for the purpose of this example, because 200 campaigns (each has a limit of 10,000 ad groups)

This is the heavier duty structure, but others can be much lesser in volume. In either case, the management of such account budgets and bidding requires some clever automation rules to maximize returns at all times.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hmm... I see...

Honestly, I don't see any advantage in this structure of  an account / campaign.

Furthermore, my argument still holds. Even if (in theory) you (somehow able to)  manage this kind of account, you will  quickly find out  that 20 % of the "single-KW ad-groups" bring 80% of the traffic... And thus, the best performing KWs  could be consolidated into a number of ad-groups.

I doubt that even if the ROI would much improved, even if setting the account under an API with 2-3 programers "crunching" the data continuously. (Compared to  1 account manger running a "streamlined" / lean account - in terms of ad-grops and Keywords)

My 2 pennies...

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You don't see the advantage of the structure, because I haven't explained how the structure is generated, and how its generation impacts ad relevancy on a keyword level (without using the Adwords dynamic ad builder, but rather a more advanced external tool) -- and I haven't explained how the structure benefits relevancy on the landing page level Smiley Wink

I get it, 20% will drive 80% of the traffic. It's obvious. But that has nothing to do with the reasons for structuring it this way.

The point of this post wasn't to get a point of view of the structure, but rather some ideas for managing high volume campaigns. How to determine budgets and bidding automation rules...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Michal;

In any case, my opinion, to run to efficiently this huge account you will need  an API access or a third party bid management  tool (e.g. Kenshoo, Marin).

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. And by API access, you mean build my own bid management rules externally? Can management of such large accounts be done with the automate rules tools in the Adwords platform?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

You have a huge database of bids and budgets. Managing them requires the API, (with the help of a programmer) or other bid management  softwares / tools commercially available on the market;
Read more:
https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/guides/bidding