AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Where should I put my low volume keywords?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all, 

I have a few ad groups in my campaign with low volume keywords. Each ad group is a specific product. They are mostly brand terms for my business. I was wondering if I should take these ad groups out, and put them into a new campaign so they don't affect the other ad groups with good CTR and such. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is a common strategy to "pull out" residual traffic into a separate ad-group.

Keep in mind that this is a residual traffic: I would keep it active only if you have some extra budget.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Sherron,

Adding to @MosheTLV 

I would advice you to filter your keywords to low search volume and look at the quality score fr each keyword. If the keyword is having good quality score you can leave them as it is because they contribute positivly to overall campaign quality score.

You can pause low search volume keywords with low quality score.

Low search volume generally gain very less impressions with less click and high ctr.. fr example 10 impressions 1 click.. I would prefer keep these keywords because ctr is high here..

Low search volume keywords with only impressions and less quality score can be pause.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@MosheTLV Thanks. We have some extra budget available to use, so I will keep them.

@Sudeep P what if there are no quality scores available? I just get dashes where the QS should be.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

If there is no volume, then nobody's actually searching for these terms. Why are they in the account at all? If you have available budget, then a few broader(er) variations of the root terms may actually perform much better than these super-specific low volume terms. If you're not currently achieving 100% of the potential impression share for your broadest brand terms, then you are leaving money on the table as is. If you are, then you don't need to add hundreds of more specific variations that no one ever searches for. Smiley Happy

Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Completely agree with @tomhalejr. You can remove those keywords, which is of no use and not having a single impression as well as in that.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@tomhalejr I read in another thread on this forum that you should add brand terms as keywords, as it helps your organic listing on Google which is why I added them. And many said it has no affect on your account. Is that not correct? It seems there is a lot of confusion around this topic.

Adding broader terms of what I already have will not help me. I tried that when I first started AdWords. It brought in a lot of traffic, but according to the search terms, majority of these searches were not from potential customers.