AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

When would you give up on a campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hi all

I have a campaign that USED to perform well ... i had a target CPA of about 100... and it was working...

Then I started tinkering TOO much... I

1) changed bids daily

2) kept flopping back and forth between manual bid and website optimizer

3) added broad keywords back and forth..

4) i had 3 campaigns with exact same set of keywords, except 1 was all broad, 1 was all phrase, and 1 was all exact..

Then surely but slowly... cpa kept going up and up and up. Of course, out of frustration, i started removing negative keywords (because a google rep told me that my broad neg. kw was causing that problem)... then killed a bunch of kw;s... then repeated #2... then started doing #1..

(Yes, im OCD)

At this point, i am not sure if this campaign is salvageable. I know I have good history (about 3 months worth)... but at this point, i am not sure if i should just start all over.

How do you guys determine if a campaign is "dead"? Should i be moving on or try to resurrect this?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Never say die....

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi taewoo,

I would never give up.  I think what you are going through is semi-normal but fear not, you can overcome this.  What I would suggest to you is to allow things to run for a bit.  Don't make changes for a week, then only make a few small ones.  

Its a good idea to set goals and a strategy for your campaign and stick to reaching it.  It would appear that you are wanting/expecting results overnight on changes you make.  Unfortunately, Adwords doesn't respond that way.  You need time to see a full data set. 

Try to slow down and resort to only weekly updates for now, at least this way, you'll have 7 days of data to work from.  Don't feel like you have to make tweaks every day, it's really not needed if you're 3 months into a campaign.  

I feel for you, I understand the frustration Adwords can cause, but I also understand that you can overcome most issues with accounts; time and patience are your friends.  

Don't give up, it will all work out.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Hi taewoo,   In addition to a very useful explanation fro...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi taewoo,

In addition to a very useful explanation from Tom, I would like to stress on few things which are basic but indeed decide the fate of your Adwords campaigns. Too much of frequent changes, expecting more than the normal results, website analysis.

Honestly, I have experienced the same as you are experiencing now. Don't go for so much of drastic changes everyday for your account. Wait for the data to get accumulated, analyse the reports in terms of day of the week, hour of the day, devices etc... See how they are performing and what factors are increasing your CPA. Once you have the stats, then work in the right direction to identify the right changes whether they are required inside Adwords or on your website.

Look at the historical data and compare it with the past data which was without changes. You will see what steps led to increase in CPA. Similarly, if you have linked it with Analytics, look at the Adwords campaigns report inside Analytics and compare it with past and see whether there is phenomenal change in terms of Avg. Time, Bounce Rate, Pages/Visit etc..

Don't give up as Tom said Smiley Happy Advertisers have to continually look for the best strategies to improve ROI. All it matters is the patience level  and the right time for Adwords to perform optimally. So give sometime to Adwords and work accordingly. You will definitely succeed.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

I agree that you should give ample time between changes....

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I agree that you should give ample time between changes.

You said:
" 2) kept flopping back and forth between manual bid and website optimizer"

Did you mean flopping back and forth between manual and Conversion Optimizer?

If it is manual bidding vs conversions optimizer THAT would really throw things on it's ear and I would suggest giving at least 2-3 weeks after a change like that before making any other major account changes.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

>>> Did you mean flopping back and forth between manual a...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

>>> Did you mean flopping back and forth between manual and Conversion Optimizer?

Oops.. yes.. ;P

*sigh*

Ok thanks guys.. i guess i'll wait and see what happens.

Not big fan of twiddling thumbs..