AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

When using keywords is broad, exact, or phrase best?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What do they mean exactly in terms of getting the most accurate business? I am getting a lot of calls that are not in my radius. So I want to narrow the search results to benefit the most out of my budget and actually get business calls from my area.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: When using keywords is broad, exact, or phrase best?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Best M, that's a very difficult question to answer without knowing more about your business.

Most Accounts tend to end up with Keywords from all three match types, though I'd suggest a well-maintained and "mature" Account is unlikely to have many, if any, simple Broad match Keywords unless they're on terms that are highly specific and/or rare like a model number or unusual product.

Accounts tend to go through a "learning process" and it's common to find that a new Account will start with quite a lot of Broad matches that, over time, get refined to Phrase matches and Exact matches as the Account owner determines what does and doesn't work.  However, as I've said above, these days I would recommend using the Modified Broad Match as an absolute minimum match type rather than simple Broad unless you have some very specific terms.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for replying! I have a Moving business and I want more customers that need moving services in my area. I'm getting calls from people outside of the state and I set a 30 mi radius for my zipcode.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Right now all my keywords are set to broad match. Should I change it?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Best M, getting calls outside the state is kinda odd if the location settings are correct.  Google's geographic targeting can be flaky but I'd expect it to be OK with a 30 mile radius inside an entire state...  What are your Advanced settings for Include and Exclude?

I would certainly suggest you try Phrase matches rather than Broads for a removal business given the sort of words that you're likely to be using in your Keywords.  You can get a good idea for Phrase terms from the Search Terms report and with some of the longer ones I'd try both "phrase" and [exact] matches.

More about Search terms reporting

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits