Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

When similar Keywords Compete in same Adgroup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

When a search query is "small business it support a" is conducted, my keyword "it support" from campaign 1 is used even though I have a keyword "small business it support" in a different campaign (say, campaign 2). Details are here:

campaign = c1, keyword = "it support", max CPC = $14.32    CTR = 1.8% campaign was created months ago.

campaign = c2, keyword = "small business it support", max CPC = $10.00   CTR = 0 campaign was created today.

How do I make it so that the keyword from c2 will be triggered instead of the keyword from c1.

I suspect that I have the same problem with many other more specific keywords in c2 so I don't think adding negative keywords to c1 for all the keywords from c2 would be a good idea (I think that would work though... what do you think?)

Neven

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: When similar Keywords Compete in same Adgroup

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Neven ! Welcome to the Community !

Yes adding keywords from C2 as negatives for C1 will work only to the extent of the exact writing of those negatives.

Negative keywords do not generate close variants like the normal keywords, therefore if a user types the negative keyword a little different ( plural instead of singular) , the string will trigger keyword from C1.

Use the search terms report to find out what users are typing to match your keywords, and to build more negatives if necessary.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the tip, surely there is another way to do it though? I thought adwords was meant to choose the more restrictive of the two but it doesn't seem to do this.

That is a fairly big problem with the variants I suppose. Does this mean that in general, people must choose specific keywords ("small business it support") and are forced to omit less specific terms ("it support") because if we include them, the more specific terms will never be triggered?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Please take a look at this:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Especially "Multiple keywords within multiple ad groups are similar to the search term"

about rule 2 : Does keyword "it support" have a more restrictive match type ?

about rule 3 : Does keyword "it support" have a more restrictive geographical targeting 

about rule 3 : Does keyword "it support" have a higher QS ? the CTR of 0 means that you get awarded the average historical QS for that keyword for the first 1000 impressions.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Neven, further to Adrian's replies, my hunch would be the Quality Score being higher for "it support" and/or the CPC.  Although you're right that AdWords will usually pick the more restrictive match, it will also pick cheaper matches where possible or appropriate.

If the Campaign is only a day old, I'd wait to see what the performance is like in 2 or 3 days time, assuming you receive a decent number of impressions/clicks in that time.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have since added the negative keywords to make adwords show the term that I want shown but I am now seeing a similar problem with many other keywords which don't seem to show the cheaper matches, more specific match or the one with the higher quality score.

Example is as follows:

Search term = it services for my awesome small business
The keyword that is matched = +business +it +services
The one I want Google to match = +it +services +for +small +business

The data for these keywords is:
+it +services +for +small +business CPC = $10, Q/S = 7 (no impressions since its never shown)
+business +it +services CPC = $16.02, Q/S = 4 (4 impressions in the last few days)

both were created at the same time about a week ago, they are in the same campaign but different ad groups.

Sorry Cobnut, do you mean that I should raise or lower the bids for a keyword if I want it to appear?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Does anyone have any thoughts? I am still at a loss about this. It is doing my head in >_<