Guide Me
star_border

When similar Keywords Compete in same Adgroup

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

What would be the best practice when two similar Keywords ( not Exactly same, but same match) compete. When they are in different adgroup then we add negative in one of them. but when they are in same adgroup and it show "ads is showing for other similar keywords is showing". 

Ex- "Home Loan"  & "Home loan usa".

Here, "home loan use" is not showing as "ad is showing with other keywords"home loan". So, what should on do?

Thanks

Anil

Re: When similar Keywords Compete in same Adgroup

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Anil,

It just means ( as I supposed that you guessed already) that there is a mini-auction between your two kw and one of them has higher ad-rank. You need to raise the bid a little for the prioritary kw, i think this is a temporary fix , until QS will fluctuate.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Don't you think that by increasing bid, I am just competing against mysef and making my CPC higher?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It's just what the help pages say :

How similar keywords match to search terms

When several ad groups contain keywords that match a search term, the system will prefer to use the keyword with the highest combined Quality Score and cost-per-click (CPC) bid. We call this combination Ad Rank.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adrian for the link . It is useful. I found below related to my question
======
On rare occasions, the system will prefer to use a keyword that is cheaper -- meaning it has a lower cost-per-click (CPC) bid -- and has a higher Quality Score and a higher Ad Rank.
===========

but, in that case, should we pause the high CPC keywords? or just wait for its Ad rank to increase?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Anil,

I don't understand the necessity to keep both the keywords "home loan" & "home loan us" in the same ad group(if i am not wrong keywords are in phrase match),as if you only use the keyword "home loan" then the searches for home loan us/us home loan,your ad will appear.

So my suggestion is to pause the keyword "home loan us"

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Shuva,
I agree with you. but in case "home loan us" is converting well and there may be higher competition next day( just as a case) then we can bid competitively on this keywords rather than home loan - which can show more lots of similar keywords.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"should we pause the high CPC keywords?"

Your main strategies should be these :

1) Create exact match keywords, because they match the user intent better and you will have higher conversion rates with them.

2) Run daily search terms reports and look for what users typed, and add those long tail keywords as exact matches or at least phrase matches , maybe in a separate ad group called "search terms". These are the phrases that people are really interested in 

3) Learn using DKI as it supposedly higher CTR 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anil_Singh
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

for the last question : "just wait for the Adrank to increase" . The adrank is a formula made from a variable that you control (max cpc) and a variable calculated by the system (the QS which depends mainly on CTR) so you cannot wait for the adrank to fluctuate , you can only wait for the QS to improve. But it doesn't happen over night even if you optimize everything possible. So the only thing you can do is to give a higher maxcpc to the kw that you think it's more useful to sales. Also this can be done automaticaly with the "enhanced CPC" setting.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anil_Singh
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You are not competing against yourself, no matter what you do, including increasing bids.

Ads will be shown according to the search and the best match to your keywords. So if someone searches for "cheapest home loan usa", your ad will be triggered on your "home loan usa" keyword since that's the best match. That's not competiting against yourself. It's you maximizing your returns and taking as much advantage as you can, provided "home loan usa" makes sense as a keyword and gets decent search volumes.

Even if you had "home loan" with a much higher bid (let's assume same QS), you are not competing against yourself. The system looks first at the best and closest match of your keywords to the search query, not the highest bid or highest ad rank. In your example, there's no ambiguity since it's clear which keyword would be triggered.

>> 1) Create exact match keywords, because they match the user intent better and you will have higher conversion rates with them.

Not necessarily true. But you should have exact match keywords.

>> 2) Run daily search terms reports and look for what users typed

If you have the search partners turned on, those may not be "typed" (not really searches but matches to partner title page). You should be able to distinguish those easily most times as they may be very long and specific. Unless the "keyword" has good ROI over the long term, I would not add it just because it's in the search term report. In fact, I'm moving towards having Google search only campaigns and search partners campaigns when warranted.

>> 3) Learn using DKI as it supposedly higher CTR

Again, not necessarily true. I don't use DKI as much as I used to, hardly ever in fact these days. I also see people using DKI without thinking and creating some weird ads which people don't click on. You have to be smart and logical about using DKI or any other tool for that matter.