AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

When I choose automate bidding why does it put a bid in for below the first page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Had a campaign that was going really well based on Manual CPC. So I thought well it could do better with enhanced CPC. The performance dropped by 30%! Many keywords were below the first page! When the big is automated why is the bid put in so low?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Samantha H
August 2016

Re: When I choose automate bidding why does it put a bid in for below the first page?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Samantha,

Every automatic bidding strategy in the AdWords has its own importance and works accordingly. Some work for position while some work for conversions(irrespective of the ads position).

If you wish to show your ads on top positions then you can switch to "target search page location" bidding strategy with Top of the first results page.

ECPC bidding strategy raises your max CPC bid up to 30% of those valuable keywords in your campaigns/adgroups that seem more likely to lead to a sale or conversion on your website.

But at the same time, it'll also lower your max CPC by any amount (even more than 30 percent) if it determines a conversion isn't likely, so you'll pay less for clicks that convert less.

So if your default bids are set to very low that ECPC is still unable to perform well even after raising the bid up to 30% automatically, this situation may arise.
So set your default CPC bid above the suggested 1st page bids.

Get more details about ECPC bidding strategy here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2464964?hl=en

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: When I choose automate bidding why does it put a bid in for below the first page?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Samantha H,

Just to add on @Archit 's answer, there are some good practices which you should use for getting max output from automated bidding strategy:

1. Don't make changes in the account(budgets, ads etc.) frequently after automated bidding is started.As It impacts the learning of Adwords algorithms and hence the performance of your campaign.

2. Allow your campaign to collect sufficient data, before starting a automated bidding strategy. As, algorithm needs some data to learn from and optimise the campaign.

3. Keep your ad-groups tightly themed, so that algorithm can have better insight about the ad-group's performance:

Here is link for more details :https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6167145#9

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thankyou for your help Archit - really useful. Sam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Deepak - really appreciate advice on Point 1 - I hd been mucking around with them a bit too much I think.