2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Whats the effect of encrypted search results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am hearing that Google has made a change aimed at encrypting all search activity.

Does this mean that we won't even be able to get keyword data for searches conducted by users like the keyword planner tool or keyword volume information.

I am trying to figure out how this will affect my ad-words marketing or its effectiveness

Just trying to figure out if this is a bad thing or good thing and its implications to Google ad-words

Re: Whats the effect of encrypted search results

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hi Mpiya and welcome to the community

The encryption of search terms is only done for organic searches, not for adwords. You can find more information in this recent thread: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/Anyone-know-if-this-will-affect-adwords-ads...

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Could one of the effects be that this recent report "footprint of Paid&Organic" will become useless ?

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2013/08/analyze-and-optimize-your-search.html

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Not sure, maybe they created that report for this exact reason since you will not be able to find this information in Analytics anymore, this way there is an alternative for AdWords users to compare paid to organic keywords.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Smart conclusion. Does anyone have this report active so he/she can compare the number of organic results from it to the number of organic (not provided) from analytics ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Because this information is taken from Google Webmaster Tools instead of Analytics, the data will always be there for the Organic/Paid tool and won't be "not provided."

This is because Webmaster Tools only looks at what happens in the SERP, not what happens after you enter the website. Webmaster Tools helps you to see what position you are on the SERP (along with other info), but not what happens to visitors after they click. That's the data in the new Organic/Paid report.

Google Analytics only sees what happens after a visitor comes onto your website, but has no idea what happened on the SERP. Now that the information passed to Analytics is encrypted, we don't see that data. This data is completely separate from Webmaster Tools.